Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone app - Whisper app & its data/pin code

APP in Question = "Whisper" SPECS: iPhone 5, USA GSM, A1428, ATT, iOS 6.1.4

To All -

First let me thank you in advance for reading this question thoroughly and submitting decent responses....with that said, here's my dilemma:

I downloaded an app called "whisper" about 6 months ago or so and used it for a week before deleting it from my phone and itunes library. A few days ago i decided to redownload the app to my phone. Upon opening the app a "pin code" is requested which I set once upon downloading the app (6 months ago) and then disabled, so I have no idea what the pin code might be (trust me i've tried all my usual combinations).

So here's my objective:

I'd like to reinstall the app as if i've never used it and begin from scratch (set up a new name, new pin code, etc.) I do not need any of my old data so a blank slate would be wonderful.

My problem:

using my apple ID to download the app, each time i install the app on my phone it brings back my last settings and therefore requires that i put in my previous pin code to use the app, and since i have no idea what this might be, I'm stuck.

Things I've tried.....

• Deleting the app from my iTunes library completely (moving it to the trash) and the redownloading the app on my phone.
  • Deleting the app from my phone, clearing the data associated with it, and then reinstalling.
  • Resetting the iPhone completely (erase all content and settings), and reinstalling every single app, song, etc.
  • Uninstalling the app and backing up the phone without the app, restoring to that backup, and then downloading the app.
  • Uninstalling the app and syncing my phone without the app, then installing the app.

My thoughts:

It seems the data and login is associated with my apple ID and therefore each time i download the app (and must input my apple ID to do so) the app seems to automatically reinstall all of my previous settings.

My question:

How can i get a clean slate? The only alternative i can think of is to create a fresh apple ID and download the app again as well as all my older apps (or perhaps just this Whisper app)

PLEASE NOTE:

Whisper does not have a support forum or way to reset a password. I have submitted a request for a pin reset through their customer service department but have not heard anything back in the last month.

Any constructive thoughts Apple fans?

Thanks in advance for your help!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 1:36 PM

5 replies

Jun 18, 2013 1:51 PM in response to reardoma

Since you've tried redownloading the app and erasing all content and settings from the iPhone, the app likely picked up a unique identifier from your iPhone (IMEI or UDID). This means you would have to work with the App developer to fix the problem.

And since you've submitted the request on using their webform, you may be out of luck. I guess you could try contacting them through Twitter or FaceBook.

Jun 18, 2013 2:46 PM in response to whatheck

I thank you for your prompt response, but unfortunately i omited the fact that when i contacted the developers through their website i also copied and pasted the question on both twitter and facebook....

Question though: How do i know the app has picked up my imei or udid versus just associating the account with my apple ID?

I'm wondering ..... if i use an older apple ID and somehow import the downloaded app under the old ID and then transferred the app to my iTunes library (current ID) if this would take care of the problem...but it would be a pain to update and really seems to boil down to a developer issue with the app. Wish i could see the code for the app to identify exactly what has "tracked" me!!

Has anyone else had this issue with the Whisper app? Has anyone ever gotten their pin code/password reset? I've notice a number of people asking this same question both to the public and the app's developers and have yet to find a response.

Jun 20, 2013 8:43 PM in response to hector_702

Here's the solution:

the WHISPER app uses the IMEI or UDID of the device NOT the apple ID to restore data.

If you are using iOS 7 beta1, this means you've downloaded the ONE released ipsw (software for your iPhone) and it's registered to apple...hence the same username, "Atlas," appearing again and again no matter what you do.

This issue is being worked on by the whisper development team and should be fixed in the coming weeks.

If you're using iOS 6.1.x, there's a very easy way to reset the app and your pin code.

Follow these instructions...

1. delete the whisper app from your phone.
  2. re-install Whisper App.
  3. create a whisper.
  4. Upon creation, you will be asked to set a new 4-digit passcode.
  5. All of your previous Whispers should re-appear.

As i've basically answered my own question, i'm going to mark this discussion as dead/solved.

iPhone app - Whisper app & its data/pin code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.