7 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2015 4:35 AM by Steven Shmerler
Steven Shmerler Level 1 (75 points)

I have a lot of files I just renamed and sequenced using A Better Finder Rename the way I want them.

Is there a way to have the file name (without the suffix .mp3) become the song title either when I

add them to my iTunes Library or with an application that can edit file tags before importanting

to iTunes Library?

I found several applications that will make the filename the same as the song tag.

I need the opposite if there is such a thing. I have hundreds of songs and can't do rename

every song title manually from within iTunes.

Thanks,
Steven

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 4-Core Mid 2012, 30" & 22" Display
  • Jimzgoldfinch Level 5 (7,690 points)

Hi,

I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve?

When you add a track to iTunes, the song title is taken from the metadata in the file. This song title is what is shown in the iTunes library and the file shown in iTunes folder with the same name as in the library. It is usually shown with a prefix which is the track number e.g. 01SongTitle.mp3.

Can you please expand on what you are trying to achieve?

Jim

• Chris CA Level 9 (78,695 points)
  • Steven Shmerler Level 1 (75 points)

Chris,

I can't thank you enough! I just got a audio book set of 5 books and each song title, had the book title, date, and then the song title. It was totally over the top. Way too much data per song.

I hope that after renaming each song file that when I imported in to iTunes that the Song Title might be changed. Yes I believe in magic

But the script you provided really did the trick and FAST.

If anyone happens to need this function, download the link Chris has provided. Don't forget to donate!

Thanks Chris,

Steven

• MaxC-R Level 1 (0 points)

Dear Steven,

I tried using this script, but I do not know what script shall be written there. Can you give me an example, please?

Regards,

Maxim

• Chris CA Level 9 (78,695 points)

MaxC-R wrote:

Dear Steven,

I tried using this script, but I do not know what script shall be written there. Can you give me an example, please?

What?

The script changes the name in iTunes to whatever the filename is.

@Jimzgoldfinch, sorry for delay. Saw Chris' solution and missed your question. the issue was trying to change the meta data that was being used to name the file within iTunes as you point out. The problem was that the meta data was too long and thus creating a too long file name. before I imported I didnt know the meta data as I use iTunes to reveal that. My process was to change what I could see outside of iTunes and then import. the file name was too long too, so I used A Better Finder Rename and changed the filename and imported and then saw iTunes use the metadata as the file name even though I'd changed the file name. Meaning the metadata took preference over the externally created file name. so in effect I was approaching this backwards and needed to changed the metadata first and then import which Chris' script allowed and solved my issue. Hope that explains it better. Regards, steven

,ax im not understanding your comment. A script doesn't gwt written, a new title does. Please explain or re ask your question. thanks.