Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AT&T iPhone 5 gets stuck on EDGE network

When my AT&T iPhone 5 goes to a low signal zone, or an EDGE zone, such as a friends basement, my girlfriends house, or an elevator, it switches to EDGE, but when I go to a good signal area, it stays on EDGE for a while (at least an hour), or until I shut off the antennas using airplane mode or restarting the phone. Sometimes it also affects Wi-Fi, and when the phone connects to Wi-Fi it gets no data on some apps, until I reset the connection using airplane mode. I want to know once and for all if this is a known hardware or software issue, if I should try to get the phone replaced (which I've had since October), or I should just deal with it as a new phone will not help. I've tried reinstalling iOS, resetting network connections, and DFU restore.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 6:57 PM

16 replies

Jun 19, 2013 11:02 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

Just to reiterate this issue, I have it as well, in exactly the same way as you describe. Personally I mitigate it with the Airplane Mode trick but that is no solution, it needs to not happen in the first place. I have gone to the Apple store for assistance and their recommendation was that I do a factory reset. I did that then loaded a backup restore and that did not help. I guess my next step is a factory reset and no restore at all (which will be painful!) I have also reset network settings a few times, no help there either. A good solid answer to this would be extremely helpful for me as well.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, carrier AT&T 14.1

Jul 6, 2013 7:08 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

I have the same issue. During the troubleshooting process Apple tech had me restore my iPhone 5 to factory settings, set up as new phone, Apple talked with AT&T to see is there were any carrier setting wrong on my account, and finally replaced my phone completely via AppleCare. I am sad to say that even the replacement phone gets stuck on Edge. So the good news is that this issue doesn't necessarily mean your iPhone is broken, and replacing it won't necessarily fix the issue... The bad news - Apple/AT&T aren't taking responsibility for this issue that plagues too many of us... Guess we are stuck using the airplane toggle trick or rebooting until a solution emerges...

Jul 31, 2013 10:23 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

I have the same problem. We live in the mountains and have a Microcell to get signal at home, but as soon as I leave we have none. But it picks up a low signal on the way to town or home and then the phone just holds it, until I turn it off and on again. Even when there is 4G it will hold an EDGE signal and just keep spinning until I realize what's happening and then turn it off and on. Even when I'm come home and it losses the 4G, then may pick up a weak one line 4G signal, it stays and when home and it sees the MicroCell but it wont change without turning it off and on. Such a pain, for a nice phone. My husband has a iphone 4 and does not have this problem, go figure wish Apple would do something about this.

Aug 23, 2013 9:42 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

I don't think I had this problem much with my iPhone 4, but it happens frequently with my iPhone 5 on AT&T. My office has a poor signal. I often lose the signal completely as I walk in and out of our building, and inside my office I usually get Edge only. This is a pain because I often do not receive calls or texts in my office. When I leave the building and get back on LTE, I get all the texts I missed, as well as voice mail notifications for missed calls. That is if my phone switches back to LTE. Often it will stay on Edge and I won't get any notifications until I realize the phone is still on Edge. If I toggle Airplane Mode on and off, it will find the LTE network. When this happens I often go for hours before I realize I missed a text or a phone call. Restarting the phone seems to help for a few days, but I can't say for sure if that makes a difference since the problem is intermittent. It is very frustrating. If I connect my phone to our office Wifi, it helps a little since my wife can at least send me iMessages, but the Wifi signal in my office is also very weak and those texts often do not get through.

Aug 29, 2013 3:27 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

It is a hardware problem.

My wife and I have Iphone 5, and only mine has the problem. After getting EDGE network at the same area, My wife's phone changes signal EDGE, 4G and LTE without any problem when moving around, but mine is just stuck on EDGE until I do airplane mode trick.

Thus, I got a replacement, and it works without any problem.

So far I checked with five iphone 5s, and two of them have the problem getting stuck on Edge network.

Sep 5, 2013 3:20 PM in response to hhhmmk

I am also having the same problem with my new iPhone 5 - I get low reception in my office and the phone switches over to EDGE, but then won't flip back when I leave my office unless I toggle off the cell antenna. I had an iPhone 5 previously which was replaced under warranty for a separate issue, and did not experience this issue with that phone, even when in my office. Therefore, it seems like a hardware defect. From a google search it seems like a lot of other people are experiencing this problem.

I wonder if Apple has advised its Apple Store representatives to replace phones that are having this issue - seems like a lot of people on this form and elsewhere have had their phones replaced when complaining of this problem. Apple should respond - I feel like they're trying to hide a hardware defect. Has anyone seen any media reports on this problem? Seems like something they would be interested in.

AT&T iPhone 5 gets stuck on EDGE network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.