Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage account inactive in Messages, unable to sign in

Hi,

My iMessage account is not working in Messages. Under Messages > Preferences > Accounts it says iMessage is inactive, and asks for a username and password. No matter what I do it won't login. No error messages, no warning, nothing. It simply won't submit my login attempts, I click the login button and nothing happens.

Any ideas on what's going on?

I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 with Messages 7.0.1.

It is also worth noting that before this issue, I had another one. Whenever I opened Messages, the Preferences button would be grayed out, among many other options. It was like the app was "dead". After deleting the com.apple.iChat.plist file under /Users/username/Library/Preferences this problem went away.

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Messages 7.0.1

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 12:35 PM

I have listed a few steps that can cause this exact same type of issue you are referring to.

Invalid or incorrect Certificates

Use the following steps to reset the cache of accepted certificates.

1. Open the Finder.

2. Choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.

3. Type /var/db/crls/ in the Go window then click Go.

4. Delete crlcache.db and ocspcache.db by dragging these files to the Trash.

- Enter an administrator password if you are prompted.

5. Restart the system and test for the issue.

Keychain Certificate settings

Confirm that Keychain Access has the proper settings for the user.

Part 1:

- Launch Keychain Access

- Open Keychain Access > Preferences

- Select the ‘Certificates' tab

- Set 'Online Certificate Status Protocol' to (Best Attempt)

- Set 'Certificate Revocation List' to (Best Attempt)

- Set ‘Priority' to (OCSP)

- Close the Preferences

- Continue to part 2 below

Part 2:

- Select Certificates from the left hand column under Category back in Keychain Access

- Type Class into the search field in the top right corner of the Keychain Access window and press return.

- Look through the list of results for any certificates that have a blue + over the icon.

- Double-click on a certificate that has the blue + over the icon to ‘Get info’ on the certificate.

- Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the word Trust to reveal the certificates permissions.

- Change Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): to ‘No Value Specified’ then close the window.

- Confirm the Administrator password in the window that will appear.

- Double-click on the same certificate that was opened in step 5.

- Again Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the word Trust to reveal the certificates permissions.

- Change When using this certificate: to ‘Use System Defaults’ then close the window.

- Again confirm the Administrator password in the window that will appear.

- Repeat steps 5 through 12 for any certificates that have a blue + over the icon. (Generally there are only one or two that will need to be edited.)

- Restart the system and test for the issue.

Potential bad data with user Keychains

If the issue has been isolated to a single user, and a brand new test user account can sign in just fine we might have bad data in the affected user's keychain file, and that's keeping you at that point from being able to use the service. To correct the issue, we're going to need to try manually removing the bad keys.

We're going to need to try manually removing the bad keys. Let's try the following:

1. Open Keychain Access, located in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the Login keychain from the Keychains list in the upper-left corner of the Keychain Access window.

3. Select All Items in the bottom left corner of the Keychain Access window.

4. Search for any "Application Password" entries that contain "IDS:" and remove them.

5. Search for any "Application Password" entries that contain FaceTime and remove them.

6. Search for the term "iMessage"; there should be an iMessage signing key and an iMessage encryption key. Remove both.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Sign back in to iMessage or FaceTime and be sure the app is working normally.

If we're still seeing the same issue even after deleting these individual keys, we may be looking at a bigger issue with the keychain file itself, and will need to try resetting it. Note that resetting the keychain file means the computer is going to forget about any previously saved passwords, and they will need to be entered again. So you may want to run Keychain Access ahead of time and recover any passwords you don't remember.

1. Launch Keychain Access

2. Go to Keychain Access > Preferences > General

3. Click 'Reset my Default Keychain'.

4. Restart the computer,

5. Make sure iMessage / FaceTime are working correctly at this point.

OS X 10.8.5 or earlier

If the issue continues and the Mac is using OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, there might be an issue with one of the following related preference files. Move either of the two following files to the desktop, then restart the computer and try signing in again:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.applepushserviced.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.apsd.plist

If the issue persists, other software may be running on the Mac that is affecting the connection. Try temporarily disabling any security, firewall, or networking software they may be running and then try again.

**If no one yet mentioned it, you can also reset the jabber service as well. See below:

Reset the jabberd service:

Type in Terminal, pressing 'Return' after each line:

sudo serveradmin stop jabber

sudo rm /private/var/run/jabberd/*.pid /Library/Preferences/com.apple.messageserver.plist

sudo rm -rf /Library/Server/Messages/*

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/copy_message_server_co nfig_files.sh

sudo launchctl load -w /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.j abber.jabberd.plist

sudo serveradmin start jabber

Reset your Messages app, including your keychain entries:

remove ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.*

Keychain Access>Search for and delete all jabber accounts.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2017 12:35 PM in response to Community User

I have listed a few steps that can cause this exact same type of issue you are referring to.

Invalid or incorrect Certificates

Use the following steps to reset the cache of accepted certificates.

1. Open the Finder.

2. Choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.

3. Type /var/db/crls/ in the Go window then click Go.

4. Delete crlcache.db and ocspcache.db by dragging these files to the Trash.

- Enter an administrator password if you are prompted.

5. Restart the system and test for the issue.

Keychain Certificate settings

Confirm that Keychain Access has the proper settings for the user.

Part 1:

- Launch Keychain Access

- Open Keychain Access > Preferences

- Select the ‘Certificates' tab

- Set 'Online Certificate Status Protocol' to (Best Attempt)

- Set 'Certificate Revocation List' to (Best Attempt)

- Set ‘Priority' to (OCSP)

- Close the Preferences

- Continue to part 2 below

Part 2:

- Select Certificates from the left hand column under Category back in Keychain Access

- Type Class into the search field in the top right corner of the Keychain Access window and press return.

- Look through the list of results for any certificates that have a blue + over the icon.

- Double-click on a certificate that has the blue + over the icon to ‘Get info’ on the certificate.

- Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the word Trust to reveal the certificates permissions.

- Change Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): to ‘No Value Specified’ then close the window.

- Confirm the Administrator password in the window that will appear.

- Double-click on the same certificate that was opened in step 5.

- Again Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the word Trust to reveal the certificates permissions.

- Change When using this certificate: to ‘Use System Defaults’ then close the window.

- Again confirm the Administrator password in the window that will appear.

- Repeat steps 5 through 12 for any certificates that have a blue + over the icon. (Generally there are only one or two that will need to be edited.)

- Restart the system and test for the issue.

Potential bad data with user Keychains

If the issue has been isolated to a single user, and a brand new test user account can sign in just fine we might have bad data in the affected user's keychain file, and that's keeping you at that point from being able to use the service. To correct the issue, we're going to need to try manually removing the bad keys.

We're going to need to try manually removing the bad keys. Let's try the following:

1. Open Keychain Access, located in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the Login keychain from the Keychains list in the upper-left corner of the Keychain Access window.

3. Select All Items in the bottom left corner of the Keychain Access window.

4. Search for any "Application Password" entries that contain "IDS:" and remove them.

5. Search for any "Application Password" entries that contain FaceTime and remove them.

6. Search for the term "iMessage"; there should be an iMessage signing key and an iMessage encryption key. Remove both.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Sign back in to iMessage or FaceTime and be sure the app is working normally.

If we're still seeing the same issue even after deleting these individual keys, we may be looking at a bigger issue with the keychain file itself, and will need to try resetting it. Note that resetting the keychain file means the computer is going to forget about any previously saved passwords, and they will need to be entered again. So you may want to run Keychain Access ahead of time and recover any passwords you don't remember.

1. Launch Keychain Access

2. Go to Keychain Access > Preferences > General

3. Click 'Reset my Default Keychain'.

4. Restart the computer,

5. Make sure iMessage / FaceTime are working correctly at this point.

OS X 10.8.5 or earlier

If the issue continues and the Mac is using OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, there might be an issue with one of the following related preference files. Move either of the two following files to the desktop, then restart the computer and try signing in again:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.applepushserviced.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.apsd.plist

If the issue persists, other software may be running on the Mac that is affecting the connection. Try temporarily disabling any security, firewall, or networking software they may be running and then try again.

**If no one yet mentioned it, you can also reset the jabber service as well. See below:

Reset the jabberd service:

Type in Terminal, pressing 'Return' after each line:

sudo serveradmin stop jabber

sudo rm /private/var/run/jabberd/*.pid /Library/Preferences/com.apple.messageserver.plist

sudo rm -rf /Library/Server/Messages/*

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/copy_message_server_co nfig_files.sh

sudo launchctl load -w /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.j abber.jabberd.plist

sudo serveradmin start jabber

Reset your Messages app, including your keychain entries:

remove ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.*

Keychain Access>Search for and delete all jabber accounts.

Jun 18, 2013 6:51 PM in response to Community User

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Jun 19, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Community User

Hi,

The iMessages account needs and Apple ID that has been verified at the Apple ID page.

If it works to login here at Apple Support Communities, works with iTunes and/or the App Store there is a good chance that this has been done.

Do you have an iPhone that is using the same Apple ID ?

Does this login and say the iPhone Number and the Apple ID are being used ?

If it works with the iPhone navigate to the /Users/(your account(/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.imservice.iMessages.plist and com.apple.iMesasges.bag.plist (Drag them to the Trash).

Restart the Messages app on the computer.

User uploaded file
8:31 PM Wednesday; June 19, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jul 23, 2013 1:27 PM in response to Kat-in-TX

HI,

I was under the impression that the Original Poster was inferring that the account had worked before but was not doing so now.

Having re-read it quickly they never actually state that they had it working.

If the Messages > Preferences items is greyed out this can be fixed by deleting com.apple.iChat.plist as has been mentioned.

The same is true if the Preferences Opens but is stuck on one pane and does not show the icons to change to the others (There is no toolbar access via the menus either).

As Linc suggests It is always worthwhile to try a "test" Mac User Account and using the same Apple ID or Screen Names and IDs for Jabber.

I have a Test Account set up in System Preferences > Users and Groups as a Standard Account (not Admin or Managed)

This will tell you if it is some other .plist that belongs to the original Logged in user or whether it is something about the Apple ID.

Apple IDs can give you different access to different places within Apple at various stages.

An @mac.com name from several years ago may work to access the Support Communities but obviously will not be a valid email for the notification emails.

You may not be able to use it in iTunes without a linking (external to Apple) email address.

Of course it may have worked in iChat as an AIM valid Screen Name but it may not work in Messages as the iMessages Apple ID if that email link is missing.

It may work for FaceTime but not the Apple On Line Store and so on.

It can be worth while going to the Apple ID page and Logging in to the management side to check.

Similar things may happen if your Apple ID is based on an email that you have no longer any access to and the Account has never been verified (which normally checked the email was valid).

In both case you may need to add a Primary email to allow this to work.

Deleting com.apple.imservice.imassges.plist and com.apple.imessages.bag.plist can help.

Removing both resets the server the app is making contact with for iMessages and deletes the current Apple ID and any "Aliases".

You would have to re-add any Apple ID to the iMessage account and try again if you did this.

Both this are in ~/Library/Preferences.

User uploaded file
9:27 pm Tuesday; July 23, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jul 27, 2013 2:21 PM in response to Community User

Thank you guys for the suggestions!

I tried creating a new user as suggested, but the Messages > Preferences item was greyed out again. Even after deleting com.apple.iChat.plist it remained greyed out. Deleting the other files did not help either, both in my user account (where at least the preferences icon is OK) and the new one.

I'm starting to think there's some corrupted file in Messages itself. Weirdest thing is that if try to login to iMessage under Preferences (in my account, where the item is not greyed out), it doesn't even try to connect. Literally nothing happens as I click the submit button, it's like it had no action at all.

And I almost forgot, my iMessage account is a @me.com email address, and it's working fine on my iPhone and my iPad, only the Mac is showing this issue.

Oct 23, 2013 7:00 AM in response to Community User

I had the same issue, but found a simple fix - at least for me!!

The account I was trying to use for iMessages/Messages was an older one, that wasn't using any iCloud services.

Go to your Macs System Preferences.

Open Internet accounts

If your iCloud account shows up select it

(If it is not there, add it using the plus symbol at the bottom)

Enable at least one iCloud service for that account.

This should prevent iCloud from thinking it is inactive.

Quit Messages, re-open it, and it should(!!) all be working!

Feb 26, 2014 11:43 AM in response to Community User

My Messages account used to work for howard@***** My wife uses a .mac e-mail address which we use for iCloud, and I have my own account using an obsolete account name for iTunes.

I used to get messages on my Mac using my e-mail address, but when someone said she would text me, I ran Message and discovered that I haven't gotten messages in 6 months, everybody is off-line. My iPhone gets messages, but they appear to be to my phone number. Most of the messages I get are the Verizon Spam that I can't get rid of. Some is Facebook messages, and some is from my grandchildren.

When I run Message on my Mac it fills in my howardbrazee account, and I enter my iTunes password, but it got stuck. I shut down Message and restarted it, and now I don't see how to activate my account at all.

I went to my iPad and opened iMessage. I see my old messages on it, covered by an iMessage log on screen with my wife's @mac.com AppleID. I didn't enter the password and sign on as I don't want to use her Message. She doesn't use text messaging at all. I rarely do. I'm hoping to receive a text to my computer so I can cut and paste the information I'm getting.

<E-mail Edited by Host>

Feb 26, 2014 11:40 AM in response to Howard Brazee

Hi,

If you turn an iPhone off for a period then even the iPhone Number will be "de-registered" from the iMessages servers.

I would do the following.

1) Check the ID at the Apple ID site. Use the "Manage Account" option and make sure the Emails listed are Verified.

If the main email you plan to use does not have recovery email then you will probably need to set one.

This second email needs to be a non Apple ID one.

2) Remove that Apple ID from the iPhone setting and the iPad settings.

Put both in to Airplane Mode.

Then on the Mac in Messages > Preferences > Accounts > iMessages account use the Sign Out button (in is in the Details Button which opens another pane)

Turn the App Off so it is not logged in either.

Starting with just the iPhone turn it back on (out of Airplane Mode).

In the Settings > Messages check that the App is turned On.

Make sure the iPhone Number is ticked.

Now on the Mac add the Apple ID back to the app.

On the iPhone Add the Apple ID as well.

Now Restart the App on the Mac.

You should get at least one popup possibly two saying that the iPhone is using the Apple ID and the iPhone Number.

Accept the Pop up.

Add the Apple ID to the iPad.
It too should get some Pop ups saying what the other devices are using.

Accept these.

User uploaded file

7:40 pm Wednesday; February 26, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 19, 2014 12:49 PM in response to Community User

I'm having the same issue, and the thing is I never had this problem until installing the final version of Yosemite.

So here's the problem; I have an iPhone, and use the Messages app all the time. On my Mac, I also use the Messages app, and can see my messages that were sent to and from my phone. And they are still there.

If I select a conversation, in the text field it says; "iMessage (Inactive)". I first noticed this yesterday when I launched FaceTime, and it would not let me log in. At the login screen was my Apple ID, and when I filled in my password I was presented with the error: "Your Apple ID "xxxxxx@mac.com" can't be used to set up FaceTime at this time. If this is a new Apple ID, you do not need to create a new one. To use this Apple ID with FaceTime, contact FaceTime support with the code below." Then there is a "Customer Code: " followed by a string of 12 number separated in three groups by hyphens. It then has two buttons; "Contact Support..." and Close.

The Contact Support button takes you to a webpage with support phone numbers. I called this, and the first time I got through to someone, after a 5 minute wait time, and then she asked me for the iMac's serial number, and put me on hold after I explained the problem. However, before I could talk to someone, I accidentally ended the call. When I tried a second time, I got the same automated response, but this time it said my machine was purchased in 2010 and I would have to pay $19.95 for a one time service call. I declined. This is clearly a bug on their part, so I don't feel like paying to have them try and fix it.

So I can't get FaceTime or iMessage working on my Mac, when it worked previously, and it works fine on my iPhone using the same account. Messages works fine with AIM or Facebook chat, but my iMessage account is inactive, and I cannot activate it without calling Apple.

Oct 19, 2014 1:08 PM in response to David Schwab

Hi,

You have to persist.

You have to get to speak to a person and explain you have an Account issue (no Cost irrespective of age of the machine or software).

Ask for a Level two person if you are having no luck.

I have raised the issue that some Level 1 Support Staff do not know of this issue but it is also known they are working to a Script.

Despite the fact an Apple/iCloud ID might work elsewhere is separate from the fact the Messages app can tell you the ID has a problem with the server (or rather the server with the ID on your Mac.

User uploaded file

9:08 pm Sunday; October 19, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iMessage account inactive in Messages, unable to sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.