Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New IPad Mini doesn't complete charging

I charge the iPad using the mains adapter, but it frequently won't complete the charging process. It'll reach 90% then stop charging. If I remove the cable and plug it in again, I don't hear the charging tone, so I know even before looking at the battery icon that it hasn't resumed charging.

I try to charge it through my MacBook, but often the same thing happens.

It's new, I only bought it in April.

iPad, iOS 6.1.3, iPad mini

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 2:20 AM

2 replies

Jun 19, 2013 3:23 AM in response to AnaMusic

Thnaks for that advice, although I did already know this. My problem is getting the iPad up to full charge in the first place. Though I think I may have hit on the problem myself.

I live in Greece, where the voltage is 220. I bought the iPad in the UK and there the voltage is 240. I get the feeling that this slight difference affects the efficiency of the charger. I have been plugging it into the mains through a surge-protector, which is normally an essential on a Greek island, but when I removed the surge protector and plugged the adapter directly into the mains, the iPad began charging again.

I'll just have to hope we don't get any major current surges while I'm charging the iPad!!

It's now evident that surge protectors affect the current and voltage ever so slightly, not enough to cause problems in most cases, but apparently an iPad needs a quite strong "potential" coming through the adapter for it to charge properly.

New IPad Mini doesn't complete charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.