Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault 2 bootup login gets weird after crash

I have had FileVault 2 encryption enabled on my laptop for almost a year. It's worked well and I've never had trouble... until yesterday.

My computer froze while I was saving something in Photoshop and had various other apps open. Nothing unusual. This happens once in awhile so I wasn't troubled by it. I have a TechTool Pro (TTP) emergency boot partition installed, so I booted off of that and ran Disk Utility and TTP to check the encrypted disk. Of course, I had to enter the disk's password just to mount it on the desktop. Disk Utility said the disk was fine other than a few permission issues. I rebuilt the volume directory in TTP, as I usually do after a crash just for precaution, and it didn't report any negative or unusual issues. Then I restarted back to my main partition.

Instead of the usual encryption login screen appearing, I got this:

User uploaded file

I added a white box over the login name that was under the icon; it was my username printed there.

This looks like a weird combination login screen of the encryption login and the usual non-encryption login. But I couldn't do anything. I could move the mouse around, but I couldn't click on anything. There was nowhere to type a password. Finally I tried typing the password anyway, and the screen changed to this:

User uploaded file

Again, I've whiteboxed the username and now a snippet of other text: my password hint. But you can see around the password hint are rows and rows of colored noise. It didn't change at all -- e.g. it was not video noise -- though if I clicked or pressed a key, it would go away, and then come back with another keypress. This was really confusing. I had just accessed this disk a few minutes earlier! And I'd checked it by booting via another partition, with no problems.

On another computer, I googled possible issues and looked through the Apple support resources. I didn't see any situations quite like this, but I did get the idea to check the encryption. I booted the troubled laptop into Recovery Mode (command-R) and turned off encryption via Disk Utility. After that, the computer booted directly to the usual non-encryption login screen without problems, and worked fine. It took about 3 hours for the system to finish decrypting itself (per the Security preference status) but there were no problems.

After it decrypted, I ran all my disk utilities again (no problems found!) and tried enabling FileVault 2 again. When you enable it, you have to restart. I did that, and... it gave me the same login weirdness described above. EXACTLY the same. So I booted back into recovery mode and disabled encryption again, and everything is working fine (other than not being encrypted as I want).

Does anyone have suggestions for what is going wrong with FileVault 2? Is there a config or preference file somewhere that I can delete or edit? A flag that needs to be set via command line? A disk driver that can be reinstalled without wiping the disk? I do not relish the idea of reformatting the drive and restoring it via Time Machine backups, though I would consider it as a last resort.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 7:35 AM

6 replies

Jun 21, 2013 3:25 AM in response to Dekortage

Update:

On a hunch that the problem was somehow with a configuration related to the login screen, I went into the Users & Groups preferences, under Login Options, and turned off everything. I set the login window display to "Name and password" instead of "List of users". Then I went back to the FileVault preferences and turned it back on. I followed the steps and restarted the computer.

It rebooted and spun on a grey screen for awhile.

Then it rebooted again, right back to the non-encrypted login.

I logged in and checked the FileVault preferences. It indicated that encryption was off, even though I had just turned it on. Odd. So I turned it on again, restarted, etc. THIS TIME, it booted correctly to the encryption login, with none of the weirdness of before, and FileVault's preferences indicated that it is in the process of encrypting.

I'll keep an eye on this for a day or two. If it seems resolved, I'll mark this resolved.

Jun 23, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Dekortage

Hi Dekortage,

Seeing how recent your post is, i wonder if this is due to th e recent update to Mountain Lion, that is if of cause you are running 10.8.4. I say so because i have the excat same problem with you on my MacBook Pro. I don't get the text input field to enter my password. All i actually get is the round circle with my image and then my name underneath, nothing else. All else is white. I did however notice that on the very top left hand corner, the corsor is blinking in black.

So let me try your suggestions as all i've tried now is to reset the PRam by holding Optioin + CMD +P+R while i reboot but it did not solve the problem.

Please let me know how yours goes. This is very strange as i've never had this and am also using FileValt 2.

Jun 23, 2013 12:07 PM in response to IkechukwuNwanze

Hi Bob. I have 10.7, not 10.8, but I seem to recall installing a security update recently, so our problems may be related.

Everything is still working for me since I updated the login preferences as above. I wonder if there is unencrypted FileVault login data somewhere to aid with the login graphics or hints or screen (?) but they got corrupted in the crash somehow. I don't know. But it's a little disconcerting that the login process isn't more bulletproof.

Jun 23, 2013 12:36 PM in response to Dekortage

Hi,

Am actually still battling with this and almost giving up. I used disk utility to unencrypt my drive and a weird thing now happens when i try to boot up normally again. I get the apple logo, a file with a question mark and a restricted sign all flashing one after the other. So these three signs flash in sequence and that's about what it keeps doing. So am really considering reinstalling from my time machine backup.

Iv'e searched forums but nothing to help. Am glad yours is working. If i reinstall, it's not too bad as i back up every weekend so i'll only loose 5 days work. Any other ideas from your end?

Jun 25, 2013 2:43 PM in response to Dekortage

Yes, i did run disk repair, verify, permissions and all that but it did not solve the issue. TechTool Pro, no i don't. I'll look it up thou in case this happens again. Because i use my Machine for work, i had a time constraint and i was just lucky that i had backed up to Time machine the day before so i had only a few hours work lost which was not much. So i had to reinstall using a Time machine back up and the whole disk is unencrypted for now. I'll use it meanwhile to get work done then over the weekend will dig in again after backing up to turn on fileVault. The problem is definitely FileVault as all is working fine now. I think something whent wrong with my recent update to 10.8.4. Will try find out what went wrong. But the happy thing is am back to work and all is well again :-) Backup is a life saver!

FileVault 2 bootup login gets weird after crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.