Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Missing?

I have been searching for lost photos for a couple of years, and have a new MBP and want to try to finally reaarange my digital life. I had stopped time machine from making backups because I was hoping I would not overwrite the backups that may have contained the missing photos, since time machine as it marches along eventually overwrites older backups to make room for newer ones.

So this issues has two main parts. First, I have all the missing "phtos" in its own iphoto library. Thus I can see about 900 or so thumbnails, but of course no photos to go with the thumbnails. I had hoped I could at least recover the thumbnails, but when I look in all my drives I don't see a folder associated with the thumbs - only partial thumbs that appear to be from face recognition attempts.

My next goal was to try to restore a backup from the time machine to the brand new MBP in the hopes that the photos may be in the backup. When I navigate to my time capsule, I can see saprsebundles there, but when I try to restore from time machine several I can't select which point in time to back up from. When I look at my time machine preferences on my current mchine (running 10.6.8), it shows latest backups failed, but not because it was turned off but because it says it doesn't recognize the username or password. I have updated the firmeware, and when I go into the time capsule through airport utility it shows everything operating fine, and I can access time capsule with no problem. When I click on time machine it says no backup can be found and asks if I want to setup time capsule. Now I'm stuck because I certainly don't want to accidentally erase any backups that may exist.

So how do I get to these time machine backups to see if indeed the lost photos are lurking anywhere? And can these thumbs somehow be found so I can at least save them? I know they won't be of much quality but at least I can see something when viewing them in iphoto.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 10:18 AM

11 replies

Jun 19, 2013 6:02 PM in response to dan weisberg

dan weisberg wrote:

. . .

When I navigate to my time capsule, I can see saprsebundles there,

You want to look at a set of backups that's not set up as the destination for the Mac you're running on.

You should be able to use the Browse Other Backup Disks option, per the green box in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #17. As noted in red, you'll need to manually mount the sparse bundle you want to get it to show up in the window.

Jun 22, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Pondini

I am totally confused by my TM. First, I have it turned off, because I was fearful of overwriting the older backups, since the TM shows only 13.53GB available of the 1 TB drive. When I do turn it on, and click the TM in the dock nothing happens. The same with browse other backup disks - nothing happens. My missing photos are primarily from 3/09 through 12/09, with a few earlier and a few later. When I open the sparsebundles I can find, although there are some photos in the iphoto libraries from 2009, none are the missing ones. I can't find a single non-sparsebundle TM backup, but I would like to think they exist somewhere in my system.

Jun 22, 2013 6:02 PM in response to dan weisberg

dan weisberg wrote:

I am totally confused by my TM. First, I have it turned off, because I was fearful of overwriting the older backups, since the TM shows only 13.53GB available of the 1 TB drive. When I do turn it on, and click the TM in the dock nothing happens.

Several things can cause that; try just re-selecting it as the destination. (When you do that, it will show "None" for the oldest and latest backup dates, but that's just the display -- it doesn't mean the backups are gone.)

That will turn TM on, though, so you'll want to turn it off again.

The same with browse other backup disks - nothing happens.

If the above doesn't work, that should, but you may have to mount the sparsebundle first, per the red paragraph in the green box of Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #17.

If neither works, the backups may be corrupted. Try repairing them, per #A5 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

If still no help, try the other things in #E4 of the Troubleshooting link.

My missing photos are primarily from 3/09 through 12/09, with a few earlier and a few later. When I open the sparsebundles I can find, although there are some photos in the iphoto libraries from 2009, none are the missing ones.

How many sparse bundles do you have? There should only be one per Mac (although if you ever had the logic board replaced, that looks like a different Mac, so might start a new one).

I can't find a single non-sparsebundle TM backup

Not on a Time Capsule. All backups made over a network are placed in sparse bundles. Only when you back up to an internal or directly-connected external HD are the backups just placed in a Backups.backupdb folder at the top level of the drive.

Jun 22, 2013 7:49 PM in response to Pondini

I have at least three sparsebundles, but they all seem to have the same data in them. I am opening these through finder, and inside each is the Backups.backupdb folder. Opening those folders shows numerous backups, but most are starting in 2010, and the one or two that start in 2009 do not show any of the photos and are missing years worth of photos, which makes me think these are backups after the photos got accidentally trashed. The big question is are there some earlier backups lurking somewhere - I thought I had read that TM keeps earlier backups even though it may not display them.

Since I see these backups through finder, would the display other tm backups display something different if I could get it to work? The sparsebundles seem to mount and open through finder, but nothing works through tm itself.

Finally, my space issue is still a concern, so I do need to not have any more backups made while I try to find these photos.

Jun 22, 2013 8:10 PM in response to dan weisberg

dan weisberg wrote:

I have at least three sparsebundles,

Not sure why you say "at least three" unless the Time Capsule is set up to Secure shared disks with accounts (per the Disks window of Airport Utility). In that case, there may be multiple accounts on the TC; each one must log on with its name and password, and will see only what belongs to that particular account:

User uploaded file

If you backed-up with one account for a while, then changed to another, each would have a sparse bundle for the same Mac.

Othewise, there should be one sparse bundle per Mac.

they all seem to have the same data in them.

They'll all have the same folder structure, but the contents should be the same as the Mac that made them.

The big question is are there some earlier backups lurking somewhere - I thought I had read that TM keeps earlier backups even though it may not display them.

If you don't see them via the Finder, either there's nothing else there, or there's some sort of corruption or damage.

Since I see these backups through finder, would the display other tm backups display something different if I could get it to work?

Nothing extra, unless there's damage that can be fixed.

The sparsebundles seem to mount and open through finder, but nothing works through tm itself.

Have you tried the things in my previous post?

Jun 22, 2013 8:44 PM in response to Pondini

Not sure why you say "at least three" unless the Time Capsule is set up to Secure shared disks with accounts (per the Disks window of Airport Utility). In that case, there may be multiple accounts on the TC; each one must log on with its name and password, and will see only what belongs to that particular account:

User uploaded file

If you backed-up with one account for a while, then changed to another, each would have a sparse bundle for the same Mac.

Othewise, there should be one sparse bundle per Mac.

Should be only one sparsebundle, but I probably copied things in the past - this is almost 3 years that I'm still coming back and hoping to find these photos on a backup somehow. When I open Airport Utility I don't even see a menu bar like your image shows, and when I go to the menu itself all options including disk are greyed out.

Here is my finder window with the sparsebundles:

User uploaded file

they all seem to have the same data in them.

They'll all have the same folder structure, but the contents should be the same as the Mac that made them.

But if the backups are made at different times you would think the files would be different. If I have photos taken every month, shouldn't the backups from say February have additional files than the backups from January?

The big question is are there some earlier backups lurking somewhere - I thought I had read that TM keeps earlier backups even though it may not display them.

If you don't see them via the Finder, either there's nothing else there, or there's some sort of corruption or damage.

So essentially it would seem that any backups from 2009 are gone if the earliest backup from the sparsebundle is dated 2010?

Since I see these backups through finder, would the display other tm backups display something different if I could get it to work?

Nothing extra, unless there's damage that can be fixed.

The sparsebundles seem to mount and open through finder, but nothing works through tm itself.

Have you tried the things in my previous post?

The things in the previous post seemed to apply if I couldn't mount a sparsebundle - I must be missing what to do when TM itself will not start from the dock or menu bar. I did reselect it as drive option and then turned off backups again.

Jun 23, 2013 4:28 AM in response to dan weisberg

dan weisberg wrote

. . .

Should be only one sparsebundle, but I probably copied things in the past - this is almost 3 years that I'm still coming back and hoping to find these photos on a backup somehow. When I open Airport Utility I don't even see a menu bar like your image shows, and when I go to the menu itself all options including disk are greyed out.

Here is my finder window with the sparsebundles:User uploaded file

Ah, ok, I didn't realize you'd been copying them (and that means you don't have separate accounts).

But if the backups are made at different times you would think the files would be different. If I have photos taken every month, shouldn't the backups from say February have additional files than the backups from January?

Ordinarily, yes. But if iPhoto is open while a backup is running, Time Machine may not be able to back up the change: Backing up iPhoto libraries with Time Machine. TM does not put up a message to that effect (we keep asking for one), but there is one in the log for the next backup saying, in tech-speak, that it will try again. Apparently Apple figures it will get it sooner or later!

This is all complicated, of course, by the fact that you can no longer see individual photos in your backups via the Time Machine browser, and unless you understand the iPhoto file/folder layout, it can be very difficult to find the actual photos inside it, so you have no real way to tell what's there. All you can do is restore the whole thing.

That's one thing you might want to try; use the Time Machine browser to restore one of those old versions of the iPhoto Library, but to a different location, such as your Desktop (see Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #16 if you;re not sure how to do that). Then use iPhoto to display it. Hold the Alt/Option key while starting iPhoto, and you'll get a menu to select which one you want to see.

But it doesn't sound promising. 😟

Jun 23, 2013 5:00 PM in response to Pondini

Well your last line is probably correct, but since these photos mean so much I'm not giving up until I am certain I have tried everything I can. So forgive me as I try to work through this.

Much of the suggestions you give refer to using TM, but again I can't seem to do that because no matter what I try TM won't do anything, so I am relegated to using Finder. If I were able to use TM, would it reveal anything that I am not seeing in finder? With Finder I can find the sparsebundles on my Time Capsule as well as any that were copied to other external drives. I have opened each of these and navigated through them to the various iphoto libraries I can find, and then navigated through the package contents to the various backups.

I know the later iphoto years listed things in real month, day and year order, while the earlier years had them listed by date and each month that had photos on that day would be numbered sequentially, so I can navigate through those with no problem.

Oddly, my sparsebundle is dated as created 12/9/09, but I know I had been backing up much ealier than that, but can't find any earlier backups than a folder dated 12/23/09.

So unless I am looking in all the wrong places (meaning I should be looking somewhere other than the iphoto library in any of these backups), or unless I get TM to work and it would show something Finder isn't, I may well have to give up and start trying to at least recover the thumbnails that still appear so I can at least have them.

Jun 23, 2013 6:28 PM in response to dan weisberg

dan weisberg wrote:

. . .

Much of the suggestions you give refer to using TM, but again I can't seem to do that because no matter what I try TM won't do anything,

I'll ask one last time: does "no matter what I try" include Repairing them per #A5 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting and/or the other things in #E4 of the same link?

If I were able to use TM, would it reveal anything that I am not seeing in finder?

If you haven't done the above, possible but doubtful.

Oddly, my sparsebundle is dated as created 12/9/09, but I know I had been backing up much ealier than that, but can't find any earlier backups than a folder dated 12/23/09.

That 12/9/09 date might be the date you copied the sparsebundle; if so, it could contain earlier backups; if you then backed-up to it, it could have newer ones.

So unless I am looking in all the wrong places (meaning I should be looking somewhere other than the iphoto library in any of these backups), or unless I get TM to work and it would show something Finder isn't, I may well have to give up and start trying to at least recover the thumbnails that still appear so I can at least have them.

Again, short of some sort of directory corruption, if you can't find it via the Finder, it ain't there. 😟

And if all your backups were made to the Time Capsule, and you didn't copy something elsewhere, there's nowhere else to look.

Time Machine Backup Missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.