Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I insert a paragraph after table in layout mode Pages '09?

I've searched online and in the manuals. I've been using WP & layout with Macs since 1986. I'm at a loss.

My fairly complex document mixes WP and layout modes: there are 7 narrow columns showing tabular data (think transit schedules). The tables are one column wide and as needed rows deep. I want to break the columns earlier than the bottom margin. I'm using Insert -> Column Break to do so. This works fine when my cursor is in running text. But Pages doesn't permit me to do that when my cursor is in a table cell (command is dimmed).

It seems that the "Format -> Table -> Convert Table to Text" command only works on an entire table.

Is there a command which would permit me to split a table in two: position cursor in cell, make just that cell text, leaving cells above as upper new table and cells below as lower new table?

(I did try using "repellent lines" — 1pt horizontal objects with wrap set to the fourth value. While this did force column breaks, it was very tricksy, and any change to the document would required a lot of manual fiddling.)

Annoying workaround: copy the table, delete later cells, paste in, insert column break. Paste in copy from first step, delete earlier half, paste in, insert column break for next table.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), jitouch, Tyinator

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 10:46 AM

Jesse,

As far as I know, there has never been an ability to "mix WP and Layout modes". Tables can be split by Cutting a range of rows and Pasting them as a new table.

Jerry

3 replies

Jun 19, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry

Thanks for the rapid, if unfortunate, news.

Here's my mix: I'm using headers and footers. Some of the content is typed into the header area (like a WP); other content is graphic items and text boxes.

I'm pasting my text boxes into running text (because I'm hoping to automate spreadsheet output). I'm sure that positioning my columns would be simpler if I was able to just push the content up against layout lines, but I don't know how to automate that.

Thanks again!

Can I insert a paragraph after table in layout mode Pages '09?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.