Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard Drive Invisible on Mac Mini used as a file server

We're using a Mac Mini as our small office file server. There are multiple external Hard drives connected. All of the drives show up and are accessable on the networked computers but on the Mini itself, some are only accessable through Disk Utility. The inaccesable drives are not on the desktop nor in the sidebar in Finder. Some drives show up on the desktop and finder. The Finder preferences to display external drives on the desktop is checked. I have tried using sudo chflags commands to make the drives visible. Nothing has worked. The only place they show up on the Mini they are physically connected to is in Disk Utility.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 10:42 AM

2 replies

Dec 11, 2013 9:53 AM in response to jasonarthurgay

I thought it was only on my Mini but guess others have the same issues too! Sometimes the share would be invisible on the user's computer's desktop but still accessible on the Shared sidebar. Would run the sudo chflags on the user's computer and would appear on the desktop again for everyone. Lately, it's happening on the server itself after a reboot. The volumes would be invisible even on /Volumes but sudo chflags works for me. Hope there's a fix for this.

External hard Drive Invisible on Mac Mini used as a file server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.