Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for a good quality but low priced case

So I was looking through numerous sites to find a good case for my 11" MacBook Air.

First of all I looked through amazon, and all the cases had negative reviews except for the ones that were all "This is a 5 star perfect case, oh my god I just love it." (All those spam ratings).

Then I searched on the official Apple store at the Speck Smartshell case, but unfortunately it had bad reviews saying the case cracked within a few weeks, etc.

I'm just looking for a high quality case that won't crack or peel within the first few weeks, and lasts quite awhile. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm trying to find the cheapest high quality case though.

Also I don't want those bag/sleeve cases I'm just looking for a protective cover.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 1:48 PM

5 replies

Jan 3, 2014 6:24 PM in response to lastingrain

Hi Lastingrain.

Many thanks for your question.

As a user of a 2013 MacBook Air I have used Specks Shell for my MacBook Air and I cannot see a difference in heat as per what many reviewers are disappointed with. I bought the Speck 13" SmartShell Case for the MacBook Air and personally I am happy. It keeps the font screen clean from dirt and minor scratches and the bottom safe and clean. Personally, the Shell cases will not be a massive benefit if you throw your MacBook Air around but it does add a layer of protection.

Highlights of the Specks Case include:

• Durable, ultra-thin hard shell protects from scratches and scuffs
  • Sleek, glossy two-piece design is easy to put on and take off
  • Anti-tilt rubberized feet keep your MacBook stable and secure

The website for the SmartShell is here:http://store.apple.com/us/product/HD623ZM/A/speck-11-smartshell-case-for-macbook -air?fnode=50&fs=f%3D11inchmacbookair%26fh%3D36c2%252B2c0a

Basically the choice is yours. The Protective case - the Speck's SmartShell will provide some protection against scratches and scruffs, but will not save your MacBook on big drops therefore do not utilise these SmartCases as an excuse to make sure your MacBook is safe.

The Choice is yours!

Many Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

iBenjamin Crowley

Jan 4, 2014 10:03 AM in response to lastingrain

I work part time for an Apple reseller and also in academia where Macs are commonly used by instructors and students. The problems I've seen with 'protective' cases are:

1) they can trap grit and dirt between the case and metal and actually cause the scratching they are supposed to protect against

2) the palmrest, trackpad, and keys tend to get dirtier faster than the outside of the case and those are areas that cases don't protect

3) they offer little to no protection from being squeezed in bookbags, backpacks, and bags and even less from drops and bumps

So in general they offer false peace of mind.

Jan 5, 2014 7:43 PM in response to lastingrain

Hi lastinggrain

With the experience of mine and my friends, there is usually little need to get a case for macbook. My latest rMBP has been used for few months without a single scratches, throughout the bustle of college life. Think 'bout your habbit of using a laptop. Mine is: take it out from my bag..put it on table...work...put it back...set off 'gain. Case cannot guard against water or sprains or a painful drop. But if it is for aesthetics, buying a nice-looking could be 'justified' XD. I used that amount to get myself an exquisite stand for a better view angle on desk plus a better ventilation for the rMBP. The fan, in my case, certainly become less in motion even when editing stuffs.

Jan 6, 2014 2:34 AM in response to lastingrain

I got a Acme made sleeve for my MBA 11" from the apple store. Not exactly cheap but it does the job of protecting the laptop from dirt and spills in transit. Not protection from dropping it or other significant impact - I am just careful!

In use, I always use my Macbook 'naked'. It's design is beautiful and should not be hidden. A gentle wipe down with a (very slightly) damp cloth now and then is all that is needed. I've never been keen on these 'shell' cases for the reasons given by dwb.

Looking for a good quality but low priced case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.