Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System sluggish, won't restart, apps won't quit, spinning beach ball, etc.

Hi. I have a 15.4" 2009 Unibody MacBook Pro, OS 10.8.4, 8 GB Ram and after waiting for a while, I recently updated my OS from Lion to Mountain Lion.

For about the first month, everything was fine, but then I started having problems with some apps stalling, sometimes being unable to Force Quit, and occasionally I couldn't Restart. The screen would turn grey, I'd see the cursor, but nothing would happen. I've been doing a lot of video editing with FCPX, so my MBP is usually connected to a 25" monitor, external (Mini G) hard drives, a larger keyboard and a trackball. The only way I can restart the machine

is by disconnecting everything and using the power button to shut down and boot up again. After a while, I started noticing that these system issues would ONLY occur when the peripherals were connected. Is there a good way to track down and troubleshoot this system problem. None of this happened when I

was using 10.7/Lion. Something is obviously incompatible, but I don't know what or how to find the source of these issues. Sound familiar to anyone?

Any

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 8G RAM, 7200 RPM Internal Hard Driv

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 3:56 PM

1 reply

Jun 19, 2013 4:08 PM in response to Jeffrey Miller

After a while, I started noticing that these system issues would ONLY occur when the peripherals were connected. Is there a good way to track down and troubleshoot this system problem.

Re-connect the devices one at a time until the problem resurfaces. This way you will find the culprit.

Make sure all of your connected devices are compatible w/your current OS. Sometimes all you need to do is update the drivers. You will need to contact the manufacturer or visit their website.

User uploaded file

System sluggish, won't restart, apps won't quit, spinning beach ball, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.