Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing my GarageBand files with other iOS devices

So I am in a band with a few of my friends and we like to record our songs. Rather than paying for a cheap stuido we would perfer to make our own home recordings using GarageBand becuase the quality is not much lower. We would like to be able to record without having to always drive to each other's houses and crowd around one persons iPhone or iPad to record. What I want to know is: is there a way for me to share the tracks that I have in my GarageBand with my bandmates so that they can open the song in their copy of GarageBand and continue editing and recording tracks? It would be great if our drummer could record the drum track then send it to our guitarist who would do his track then to me for bass and our singer for vocals. So far I have heard of no way to do this. I know that iCloud can be used to share GarageBand songs, but this does not help since we all have different iCloud accounts. Also the export option in the app seems to be of no use. If I export by email then the recipent can move the song to his iTunes music library but not his app so that he can finish the song. It would seem like it would make sense to allow people to share their files so that they can be edited by others, but I could be wrong. Please, for the love of all things good in the world, help me.

GarageBand (iPad), iOS 6.1.3, PLEASE HELP ME I'M BEGGING YOU

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 5:29 PM

7 replies

Jun 19, 2013 5:53 PM in response to superqueso

To share the GarageBand project, you need access to a Mac.

Share the GarageBand project to iTunes and sync your iPad or iPhone to a mac. Then you can download the project to a folder on the disk. This requires that you also have GarageBand on your Mac.

Then transfer the project to your friend, and if they have a mac, they can upload the project to their phones by syncing.

GarageBand for iPad: Share GarageBand songs

and for windows users see here: Loading a .band file back into Garageband (iPad 2)

Jul 2, 2013 5:39 PM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

To share the GarageBand project, you need access to a Mac.

Share the GarageBand project to iTunes and sync your iPad or iPhone to a mac. Then you can download the project to a folder on the disk. This requires that you also have GarageBand on your Mac.

Leoni, are you sure about the last sentence, requiring GarageBand?

You can transfer a GarageBand Song (the project file) between the iPad and the desktop via iTunes File Sharing, a somewhat "un-Apple" like cumbersome procedure. Once you have it on your iTunes Document area, you can drag it anywhere on your desktop (Dropbox, email) to exchange the file with others. For this step it is not required that you have GarageBand on your Mac.

I prefer the method of syncing the project to iCloud and just grab the file from the Library directory where all the iCloud files are stored.

superqueso,

here is another thread where I posted some screenshots from my book that explains the /import/export procedure

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4693095?answerId=20873282022#20873282022

This is the iTunes FIle Sharing process

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 3, 2013 10:53 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

Leonie, are you sure about the last sentence, requiring GarageBand?

Now I am no longer sure, Edgar 😀-

Now I'm not sure either.

My assumption was that the iTunes File Sharing feature is between the iPad, the app on the iPad and iTunes. The Document area in iTunes should have no connection with GarageBand 11 besides the fact that it can use those files too.

Unfortunately, I have GarageBand installed on all my Macs, so I can't test the iTunes behavior if GarageBand 11 is not intalled.

Maybe someone can verify that.

Feb 10, 2015 10:01 AM in response to superqueso

With the understanding that this is more for collaboration and demo type purposes I have found a relatively easy way to do what you are asking . All you need is an iphone an iPad (or two IPhones) a 3.5 mm on both ends cable, and an IOS recording interface. Any interface that will allow you to plug electric guitar or one of your regular microphones in will work. (As long as it has 3.5mm ). Lets say track A is guitar.. If person 1 records guitar and then sends it via MP4 email to person 2 who wants to add bass then person 2 can open track A in their email using their iphone. Then person 2 grabs their ipad and opens a brand new project in garage band. Person 2 selects microphone as the instrument and adjusts the input settings to either left , right or stereo. Then person 2 plugs his iphone into the recording interface and his iPad as well. Person 2 presses record on his iPad garage band and presses play on the iPhone mp4 file they opened previously. This records it as if the guitar track (track A) is in the room and you will need to make sure it is not so loud it's clipping . Once it's done playing hit stop and there you go ! Person 2 adds bass and mixes it as good as they can and sends it on to the vocalist etc.

Who would have thought it was that easy?!

I realize that this does compromise a little sound quality, but with iOS devices I would not think that anyone has a Grammy winning recording in mind. For me it has actually worked quite well for writing and demo collaboration. It surprises me that this question is not asked much more than it is. It was the first thing I wanted to know when I started using Garageband . I can't fathom why it has not been simplified and added as a standard feature so that we wouldn't have to cheat it into the system like this.

Sharing my GarageBand files with other iOS devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.