Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application. what does this mean and how can I change this so I can eject my iPod?

My iPod cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application.

What does this mean? and how can I amend the situation so that I can eject my ipod?

iPod nano

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 5:31 PM

What were you doing connected to the Mac? Were you syncing, updating? Has iTunes told you it is sfe to eject or is it still working?

If you are in the middle of some operation you cannot eject without causing problems later on with that app.

3 replies

Jun 19, 2013 7:18 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I was only tring to charge my ipod. I just bought it today, and I synced earlier today-that went fine.

Then, I connected it to the usb to charge it...hours later, it wouldn't let me eject. Finally, I decided to

"quit itunes" and that seemed to work. I'm a little worried it will happen again when I connect the ipod to my mac...but we'll see. Thank you for your reply. If it happens again, I'll be back to the community for help.

Jul 21, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Nicjam

I cannot believe I actually solved this problem for my ipod after so many efforts to do so. Here's what finally worked. Every time I connected my ipod to the usb, a message came up from my Lexmark printer setup. It asked me if I wanted to put the pictures it was reading on my computer. No, no I did not. Finally, reading the message "ipod cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application, okay, what application???? Duh! Then it hit me, the Lexmark message. Geeze. I deleted the Lexmark printer from my computer and OMG, the ipod ejected.

My iPod cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application. what does this mean and how can I change this so I can eject my iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.