Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Display Issue - MacBook Pro

Lets begin. I have spent countless hours of research trying to find someone with the knowledge to help me with this issue. Basically I bought 2 HP 21.5" monitors to set up as extended desktops for my MacBook Pro. My MacBook Pro specs are here:

13-inch, Early 2011

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Software OS X 10.8.4

I purchased two other items one being an Apple Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter. I used my thunderbolt port on my mac with the mini display adapter and hooked up the VGA cable to the monitor and computer. This worked flawlessly and I couldn't be more happy with my investment. Though there was still one problem, I had another monitor that needed to be hooked up. But because I had already used the only remaining display out put on my mac I had to use the USB to VGA adapter to use the USB port as a secondary display out out. I installed the latest driver for the adapter and also connected the adapter as told to. Success! That is what I had thought until I realized something. For the display hooked up via Thunderbolt, my computer gave me the system preferences window for it and recognized it as a display. This aloud beautiful quality and a touching refresh rate drop down menu preset to 60 Hertz. The icon as well was displayed as an older generation Apple Display. When my preference window for the second display appeared it was not the same. There was no lovely refresh rate drop down menu nor an older generation Apple Display icon. No, this was recognized as an external display, but there was an icon of a MacBook Pro. Not only was this interface different, but the quality was noticeably different. There were black lines faded running down my screen, my cursor arrow was fuzzy and mis-shapen, not to mention the horrific window lag with it. Before I continue, here is a screen shot I took of the preference windows side by side the right for the correctly working monitor and the left was the not-correctly working monitor. 😕

User uploaded file

On the company's website the requirements to run the device properly are all met fully by me. Apple support could not help with any computer related issue. The company support is the only way for me to talk to a representative and get real answers. Unfortunately they are closed and I really would like some legitimate answers. I even tried this forum hoping it would work because the guy had similar issues as me. even though I am very good with computers this baffled me quite a bit.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Dual HP 21.5" Displays

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 8:50 PM

There are no replies.

External Display Issue - MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.