Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP early 2011

Hello, I have a Macbook Pro 15 inch early 2011 2.3 ghz intel core i7. I am running mountain lion build 12E55. I'm trying to repair startup disk and am confused. in disk utility help i was directed click on a link for "recovery system/internet recovery" and then somehow got to a page that asked me to check my build, which I did. It was supposed to match up to a chart showing the builds for each model. 12E55 wasn't listed for my model. The help document said to be very careful to match up the builds and if you have the wrong one, there are problems. Apparently, different macbooks run the disk utility differently based on the particular build. I'm just getting more and more confused as there are also instructions regarding fsck or Apple Hardware Test depending on my the correct build (which I don't have) on my computer! Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 7:18 AM

Hey wodehousefanusa

The article below will shed some light on resolving startup issues. As for the Builds for the Mac, as long as you have done traditional updates and not used a disk from another computer you will be fine.

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1417

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

-Norm G.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2013 7:18 AM in response to wodehousefanusa

Hey wodehousefanusa

The article below will shed some light on resolving startup issues. As for the Builds for the Mac, as long as you have done traditional updates and not used a disk from another computer you will be fine.

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1417

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

-Norm G.

Jun 22, 2013 7:31 AM in response to wodehousefanusa

What version of OS X came on your mac originally? Was it snow leopard or lion as early 2011 models came with either from the factor. Early released early 2011s came with snow leopard and later released early 2011s came with lion, that is after lion came out in June or July of 2011.

That chart you are looking at refers to the version of OS X that originally came on your mac.

Boot your system to the recovery HD. Hold down the command+r keys at startup. If for some reason that doesn't load properly you might get a globe in the center of the screen. That globe mean the system is trying to boot from over the internet from the apple servers. Your system might not be able to use the internet recovery system. In that case use your original system discs that came with the system.

But if the built in recovery hd does not load then you have a major problem with the internal hard drive and it will probably need to be replaced.

MBP early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.