Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina (15 inch) becoming very hot

Dear readers,

I bought a brand new MacBook Pro retina (15 inch-model), the standard model (2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD). I noticed that the rMBP becomes really hot after a short time of being in use, doesn't matter if the rMBP is on a table, or on my lap, or on the desk.

What might cause this to happen, or is this normal?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 4:33 AM

17 replies

Jun 20, 2013 4:40 AM in response to WMRKameleon

The processor, and the graphics processor, generate heat as they work, heavier graphics load generates a lot of heat. Some may even hit the thermal overload protection point and shutdown.

If you are not doing heavy duty graphics, such as gaming, take the MBPr to an Apple store and have the genius bar staff test it to see there is not a problem causing it to overheat...as said, unless you are doing heavy duty calculation or graphic work it should not be hot, warm yes, hot no.

Jun 20, 2013 4:40 AM in response to WMRKameleon

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

The MacBook Pro with Retina display gets hot quickly because it's made of aluminum, but also there's less space inside. Furthermore, Apple had to set up a higher fan speed.

Your MacBook Pro will set up fans speed automatically when the temperature increases, so if you want to check temperature, use Temperature Monitor > http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html If the temperature isn't higher than 80ºC, I wouldn't be worried

Jun 20, 2013 4:44 AM in response to WMRKameleon

User uploaded file

Dear mende1 and Ralph Landry1, here is a screenshot of the results from the TemperatureMonitor mende1 linked to.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be, I think the processor might be really really hot. But the only thing I'm doing is playing some music at the moment, doing some stuff on the internet. I haven't run Photoshop or something similar, so that can't be the problem.

Jun 20, 2013 5:03 AM in response to WMRKameleon

The graphics process is doing great, the CPU core 1 temp, though, 80 C is a bit warm for not doing anything. Thermal shutdown occurs between 90-100 C depending on the MBP model. Might be interesting to see what happens if you run a program that puts a load on the system...does that kick it to thermal overload?

Test a few things out soon so you can decide on taking it to an Apple store while in the 14-day return for refund period.

Jun 20, 2013 5:23 AM in response to WMRKameleon

Temp after 30 seconds hitting 94 C, 201 F...that is a bit on the warm side. And the graphics processor is warming up but not serious yet.

I don't know that mende thinks about those results but i would not be happy with a computer's cpu reaching the boiling point of water after only 30 seconds of work.

The return for refund is the Apple policy, not sure if a reseller will honor that. One way to find out is ask them...and if you have an Apple store convenient, they will honor it even if you didn't buy from them.

MacBook Pro Retina (15 inch) becoming very hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.