Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a PC with a Displayport output use a 27" iMac as a monitor?

Hi,

I've asked a couple questions in the past week because I'm trying to find a solution for my office. (each one of my ideas unfortunately turns out not to work)

I need a PC for some business things I do, I have an old PC but it works fine for what I need it for.

If I buy a video card that had a displayport output, could I plug it into a new 27" iMac to use it as a monitor?

(My current video card only has a DVI & VGA output, unless an adapter would work with it?)

I really want an iMac, and would rather not use parallels or Vmware or bootcamp (if possible) because I have a lot of data on my PC.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Scott

iPod classic

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 5:52 AM

Not unless the iMac is a 2009 or 2010 model. You are referring to Target Display Mode, Apple fully explains it and what its compatible with in Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

3 replies

Jun 20, 2013 7:18 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ok... Foiled again... 😉

Thank for the Quick Reply.

Looks like I'm going to have to squeeze two monitors on my desk, (or maybe I'll buy the 21" imac and save some space)

Or maybe I'll buy a nice Dell monitor (with a lot of inputs) and just buy a Macmini (especially if they upgrade to haswell because the graphics are supposed to be much better. (and the mini's don't have dedicated GPU's)

Thanks again.

Can a PC with a Displayport output use a 27" iMac as a monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.