Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I want to import a section of a finished program for demo or re-editing purposes, even though I put handles on the section I want to import, when the import command is given it imports the ENTIRE program. Is this a limitation or am I messing up?

When I try to import a section from a completed program rendered and exported to my external hard drive for re-editing or demo purposes, even though I use the handles to import only a particular section, when the import is enabled, the ENTIRE program is imported, not just the selected session. Is this a limitation or am I missing something on trying to import a portion of the file?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 7:00 AM

15 replies

Jun 20, 2013 9:46 AM in response to Jamie McW

Because it's a hard drive file. It would be like saying you want to import pages 3, 12, and 64 from a Word document. When you're importing from a camera you're copying from another drive and can create a new file by segmenting it and copying sections of it. When you import from a hard drive, you don't have to copy the file into the event, you can make an alias pointing to it. There isn't any way that I know of in the OS that will allow you to create aliases to segments of a file.

Jun 20, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Jamie McW

It would be technically possible, but then you would lose the ability to import without copying the file and creating an alias. You couldn't have both. I guess the application could be programmed so that if you made a partial selection, the option to copy to event would automatically be checked on and grayed out as it is when you copy from a camera.

Jun 20, 2013 2:42 PM in response to Jamie McW

Here is an example from a Canon's CF card. The entire card was copied to a folder (Canon Copy) on a media drive. In a separate step, the clips would be imported into FCP. What sometimes happens is that the shooter thinks he/she only needs to bring in folders that look like media (In this case, CLIPS001 or in the case of AVCHD, the Streams folder). But for the FCP import process to work, we need all those other files that contain the metadata that Tom referred to.

User uploaded file

Russ

Jun 21, 2013 7:53 AM in response to Russ H

Guys, thanks for all the thought and effort in dealing with this problelm. It would be nice if Apple can find a way to make it work in the Import window.

For now, I'll just have to bite the bullet and make large file copies of the program in ProRes. This way I can just drag it into the Event window and edit from there. Unfortunately, many times I only need 3 or 4 seconds from the program, so it does seem like a waste of space. Thank God storage has gotten so inexpensive.

When I want to import a section of a finished program for demo or re-editing purposes, even though I put handles on the section I want to import, when the import command is given it imports the ENTIRE program. Is this a limitation or am I messing up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.