Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Completely remove Gmail account

I set up my new iMac from a time machine backup and when I opened Mail it wanted to import messages from a Gmail account that I had deleted from the original iMac.

All of the mail accounts had been deleted on original iMac by going into mail/preferences/accounts and deleting them. All appear to be gone and yet one Gmail account with it's outgoing server comes back when I do a restore from the TM backup.

I want to fully 100% delete all email accounts and associated outgoing servers ect. without having to wipe the whole computer clean.

Thanks for your help

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 10:05 AM

9 replies

Jun 20, 2013 10:23 AM in response to Paul_31

No, it is empty.

I have also gone into Library/Mail and deleted a folder called V2.

Did another backup of original computer and restore to the new iMac.

I've done this a couple times, sometimes when I start Mail it doesn't ask to import messages and so I think I finally have fixed it. I'll then set up a new gmail account on the restored iMac but then I see there are two outgoing servers, one associated with the old account. If it was totally wiped clean I would only have one outgoing server.

Jun 20, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Tom Lockwood

If you've done this, ignore me. Not sure if this is a a help or not, but when setting up the new gmail account are you letting Mail do it automatically?

If so, have you tried setting up the account manually, which gives more control over the setup process, although you'll need to input the server address info yourself? At the first setup screen, where you input your email address/password, hold down the Alt (Option) key as your press 'continue' which takes you into the manual configuration process.

Jun 21, 2013 9:50 AM in response to Tom Lockwood

Copy the line below.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

While holding down the option key, select Go/Go To Folder from the Finder menu bar. Paste the line into the window. You won’t see it.

See if you can find any remenants there.

If that doesn't solve the problem, quit Mail.

Take notes of all account information or take screen shots. You may need to set the accounts up again. Quit Mail.

Copy the line below.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

While holding down the option key, select Go/Go To Folder from the Finder menu bar. Paste the line into the window. You won’t see it.

Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop.

Delete the folder on the desktop. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

Information learned from Linc Davis.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/04/show-library-directory-in-mac-os-x-lion/

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.2. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Jun 21, 2013 2:50 PM in response to Eric Root

I'm hoping your suggestion has finally completely removed the Gmail account.

There were a couple folders in the place you directed me to and I deleted them.

Prior to deleting them when opening mail for the first time Mail wanted to import messages. After deleted the folders I found via your method, Mail on opening wants me to set up a new account as it should.

I thought I had fixed the issue a couple times before but it kept coming back so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is now fixed permanently.

THANK YOU everybody!!

How to Completely remove Gmail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.