Skip navigation

Problems with iPhoto '08 to iPhoto '11 Conversion

1612 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 6:42 PM by Tom Meade1 RSS
granitev Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 20, 2013 10:05 AM

We are in the process of bringing up a new iMac and are having difficulty opening our old iPhoto library.  We've been running iPhoto '08 (version 7.1.5) on a vintage 2006 iMac.  The iPhoto '08 photo library has approximately 35,000 photos in 1000+ events with an additional 60+ albums and slideshows.  The library takes up 165 GB on an external hard drive.  I have tried to convert the old library to iPhoto '11 three times - option key iPhoto to open the existing library on the external hard drive, import photos to a new library on the new iMac and drag the library from the external hard drive to the Pictures folder on the new iMac.  Each time I end with some version of the following (a few photos/events and no albums, etc.) ...

Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 11.43.01 AM.png

This has generated an additional problem.  When I end up with a bad library on the new iMac, I try to delete from within iPhoto '11 by Edit -> Select All and then choosing iPhoto->Empty iPhoto Trash.  The pictures go away in iPhoto but there is still a 165 GB iphoto library (actually 2 at this point) on the hard drive of the new iMac.

I could use help on these two issues -

1. How do I convert (is this the right term) an iPhoto '08 Library to iPhoto '11 Library while retaining all photos, events, albums, etc.?
  2. How do I get rid of the bad iPhoto '11 libraries that are now on the hard drive of the new iMac.  I know that I can Move to Trash in Finder, but deleting those files will take FOREVER.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One additional quirky detail ... we're still running the old iMac until this is resolved.  I copied the iPhoto '08 library to another external drive and attached it to the old iMac.  I opened iPhoto '08 just to be sure that everything was okay (it was).  With the old iMac still powered on, the iPhoto '08 albums showed up on the share section of iPhoto '11 on the new iMac.  Probably normal but weird given the current frustrations.

Thanks.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,870 points)
    Jun 20, 2013 10:22 AM (in response to granitev)

1. To get rid of the bad iPhoto Libraries. Go to wherever they are in the Finder and drag them to trash on your dock. Then empty that. Deleting large numbers of files takes a little time. Read a book.

2. The other issue suggests that there is some corruption in the original 08 Library.

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

This will take some time. You may need to read a second book

Regards

TD

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (113,450 points)
    Jun 20, 2013 10:24 AM (in response to granitev)

Do you still have a copy of the earlier version of iPhoto?  If you do open the library and do a rebuild of the database file and repair permissions on it. Then open it with the new version to convert it.

Make sure the format of the EHD is as shown in this screenshot:

ignoreownership.PNG

Before trying the above one thing you can try with one of the failed converted librarys is to apply the two fixes below to it in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library. Since you already have a backup on the EHD you can ignore the circled recommendation.

iP93rebuild.PNG

Since only one option can be run at a time start with

Option #4, #1 then #2 as needed. It might take several

attempts for Option #2.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager  to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next  window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments.  However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

• Tom Meade1 Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)
    Sep 10, 2013 6:42 PM (in response to granitev)

I'm going to make another stab at upgrading iPhoto 8.1.2 to 9x

so I can get Photostream going. Last time was a bad experience

so, TG, I had an external backup of my Library.

This time I've tuned the Mac, repaired iP permissions and all

the other options for my currently working Library. I'm also

duplicating it in case of trouble. I understand I'm to apply the

9.0.1 uddate to iPhoto '11 before running it the first time. I'm

confident that '11 won't open without me actually invoking

it. I expect Software Update to find 9.0.1 for me when '11

gets settled there in Applications. Why am I nervous?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.