Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing the security update Java for OS X 2013-004 and Mac OS X v10.6 Update 16 my computer won't boot up. How do I fix it?

I installed the Security update Java for OS X 2013-004 and Mac OS X v10.6 Update 16 on my Macbook running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and now my computer will not boot up. I get as far as the grey screen with the Aple logo, a progress bar at the bottom. After roughly 10% progress, the computer goes black and turns off. Is there any way, besides doing an entire system restore with the OS disc, to fix this issue? I don't want to lose the content on the computer.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Security Update

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 5:20 PM

4 replies

Jun 21, 2013 2:07 AM in response to AllyTheWoo

Startup in Safe Mode

A Safe Mode boot takes longer than a normal boot so be patient.

Safe Mode deletes some system caches that may help.

Once you're in Safe Mode, click the Apple menu icon top left in the screen. From the drop down menu click Restart.

If you can't boot in Safe Mode, boot from your install disc, run Disk Utility to verify and if necessary, repair the startup disk.

Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

After installing the security update Java for OS X 2013-004 and Mac OS X v10.6 Update 16 my computer won't boot up. How do I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.