Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup Workgroups named with numerals?

Hi all,

I took a few moments to kick off a "trial server" running 10.8 on a spare iMac in my school. I figure I'll test it out before wiping and upgrading the school's current server.

Traditionally, each year group of students is a workgroup is named by the year they begin at the school. I wanted to setup year groups, using the Server App, with numerals: 2013, 2012, 2011, etc. However I couldn't. A message would come up saying I couldn't use spaces or punctuation (but I only had numbers). I could create a group called "teachers" but no go with the year groups using numerals.

Any advice?

Dave.

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 2:23 AM

Can't create a group which looks exactly like a number. Sorry. Instead, call them 'Year2011' or 'ClassOf2011' or something like that.

(The technical reason: Groups have both names and automatically generated numbers. Some commands for doing things to groups accept either the name or the number: if what you type starts with a digit they assume you're using the number, if it starts with a letter it assumes you're using the name. So it stops you using numbers as names because it would get that wrong.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2013 2:23 AM in response to teacher_dave

Can't create a group which looks exactly like a number. Sorry. Instead, call them 'Year2011' or 'ClassOf2011' or something like that.

(The technical reason: Groups have both names and automatically generated numbers. Some commands for doing things to groups accept either the name or the number: if what you type starts with a digit they assume you're using the number, if it starts with a letter it assumes you're using the name. So it stops you using numbers as names because it would get that wrong.)

How to setup Workgroups named with numerals?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.