Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use all 3 ports on 5870 on a 2008 Mac Pro?

Firstly, the card is the PC version of the 5870 that has not been flashed and works without any issues. When I was running one monitor I was able to use the HDMI port wiithout any issues. However, now I have 2 - 23" Cinema Displays connected via the 2 Dual Link DVI ports on the card and when ever I connect the HDMI port I lose a monitor. Is there any way to run all 3 at the same time?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 6:33 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2013 2:53 PM in response to Taiko713

"AMD Eyefinity technology supports up to six DisplayPort™ monitors on an enabled graphics card. Supported display quantity, type and resolution vary by model and board design; confirm specifications with manufacturer before purchase. To enable more than two displays, or multiple displays from a single output, additional hardware such as DisplayPort-ready monitors or DisplayPort 1.2 MST-enabled hubs may be required. Maximum two active adapters supported. See www.amd.com/eyefinityfaq for full details."

from: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

The straightforward solution is to convert one Single-Link DVI (good for display up to 1920 wide or 1080p HDMI which is 1080 by 1920) from DisplayPort using an ACTIVE adapter (that contains re-drivers for the signal levels) such as those listed on the page that quote above comes from, about US$35.

I do not yet understand how an un-flashed card is working, since BIOS-only cards do not contain the EFI firmware required to show a picture under Mac OS X.

How can I use all 3 ports on 5870 on a 2008 Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.