Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp 5 broke my broadcom wireless adapter mbp 2010 windows 7

broadcom bcm43224ag (VEN_14E4&DEV_4353)

Wireless internet worked great with previous versions of bootcamp on windows 7, but bootcamp 5.0.5033 must have had a driver that windows doesn't like, because my internet access cuts on and off intermittently every minute or so.

What gives?

Where can I find an updated driver? Or an older driver that works?

MacBook Pro, Windows 7, bootcamp 5.0.5033

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 8:25 PM

13 replies

Jun 21, 2013 12:10 PM in response to Rudegar

Downloaded boot camp 5.0.5033 from apple support website. Installed bootcamp 5 on a fresh install of windows 7.

All other components are working great (even the video card driver wasn't too old, for a change) except for the wireless card.

I've placed my Asus windows 7 laptop next to this MBP to test wifi signal and everything else I could think of (inSSIDer to change radio channels included), and the Asus has no problems while the MBP cuts off and on every minute or two. Pingtests show a flucuation between really good latency (around 60 or so) to really bad (around 800 or so). In other words, internet browsing and gaming function great one minute and very terribly the next.

The thing is, bootcamp 2.7 ran great all last year on this MBP. I found an old bootcamp 4 driver by following a link on this apple forum, installed it, but I noticed no difference at all.

Only other new development is that my new ISP is centurylink, which forced me to switch from my old ATT Motorola modem/router to a slightly newer Actiontek modem/router. Is it possible the Actiontek doesn't like broadcom cards?

Jul 25, 2013 6:50 PM in response to jaylaxel

I have the same issue.

The Issue:

Laptop is on, connected to work or my home wifi or tethering on my phone's wifi hotspot. In all cases, without any warning, the connection will drop to "limited" all of a sudden, whether I'm using the computer at the time, or not. Once at "limited", I can't reconnect to any wireless network. If I disconnect and reconnect, it attempts but fails to connect to the network. If I disconnect and try another network, same thing happens.

Then, (and this is the real doozy): no wireless networks are detected. I get "No connections are available", the Broadcom driver completely disappears from Device Manager, and the only thing I can do is restart the computer (sometimes a couple of times) for it to work again.

Things I've tried unsuccessfully:

• Enable then disable flight mode
  • Uninstall then reinstall Broadcom driver
  • Go into Wireless Network Adapter > Properties > Power Management > uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
  • Install an earlier Broadcom driver
  • Install the most up to date Broadcom driver
  • Reinstall Bootcamp 5
  • System Restore to an earlier time in the month
  • Walk around the grassy knoll 13 times in an anticlockwise direction while the moon is full
  • Clean install (from scratch, no kept settings, no kept files, no kept programs) of Windows 8. Once installed, I then re-install Bootcamp 5. Seemingly all the drivers have installed except for Bluetooth and Broadcom 802.11n Wireless driver. I literally can't even scan for wireless networks now.
    Apple, are you aware of this problem with Bootcamp 5??

What I'm running:

Windows 8.0 installed on a 2011 MBP (Macbook Pro) via Bootcamp 5

Aug 4, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Spectrelives

I'm having similar issues with Vista. It worked great for years, and then about two-three weeks ago stopped connecting to the internet. A variety of things like renewing the ip address, resetting the tcp/ip stack, blah blah blah has allowed it to connect for a few moments, but it invariably drops out again. Interesting to see that others are having the same problem, across different versions of Windows.

May 21, 2014 8:29 PM in response to tellefsenfrank

I tried rolling back to the original Broadcom driver by Microsoft without any luck. Then I tried installing the old Broadcom driver Atomez linked to at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4481849?answerId=20210230022#20210230022, which did nothing but to crash my wireless networks tray. Then, however, after uninstalling that, which reverted me back to the original Broadcom driver by Microsoft, speeds seem to have returned to normal.

Maybe uninstalling Atomez' driver helped remove some conflicting Broadcom files or something. Anyway, I hope someone finds this useful.

May 23, 2014 8:52 PM in response to jaylaxel

I too have been experiencing intermittent Wi-Fi issues on my 2011 Mac mini with Windows 7 since I updated to Boot Camp 5 (although I wasn't sure if that was the source of the problem; there have been plenty of updates to Windows from Microsoft itself). The network icon in the notification area would show a yellow alert triangle indicating that I had a connection to the router, but no Internet access. This is what I just tried tonight, and so far it seems to be working:

1. If possible, connect your computer directly to the router via a network cable (so Windows can download a replacement driver if necessary).
  2. Open Device Manager (search for it, or find it in the Control Panel category Hardware and Sound).
  3. Expand Network Adapters, and locate the entry for your wireless adapter (mine is Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter). Right-click it, and choose Uninstall.
  4. Check the box that reads "Delete the driver software for this device.", and click OK.
  5. After it completes the process, restart the computer.
  6. When the Windows desktop loads, an icon should appear in the notification area indicating that it is installing a device driver. Let Windows find the driver itself.
  7. Disconnect the network cable from the computer, connect to your router from the network icon in the notification area, and try accessing websites again.

I have not been working with the replacement driver long enough to know if this is "the fix", but considering how frequently I was hit with the issue tonight before I removed the driver, I'm having a good run so far.

bootcamp 5 broke my broadcom wireless adapter mbp 2010 windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.