Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2015 8:51 AM by MarkABQ
abhishekdey82 Level 1 Level 1

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to Mac (6 days old). I am just wondering how to reset my mail app to the company settings? Any help will be appreciated...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)
Solved by abhishekdey82 on Aug 6, 2013 11:35 AM Solved
Thanks man!!! Worked like a charm... Sorry for the delay in replying!!!
Reply by Linc Davis on Jun 21, 2013 8:17 AM Helpful
Quit Mail. In the Finder, hold down the option key and select  Go ▹ Library  from the menu bar. Move the following items from the folder that opens to the Trash (some may not exist): Caches/com.apple.mailSaved Application State/com.apple.mail.savedStateApplication Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmrContainers/com.apple.mailMailPreferences/com.apple.mail.plistPreferences/com.apple.mail.searchhistory.plistNote: you are not moving the Mail application. You’re moving a folder named “Mail.”
Reply by stevepo74 on Jan 1, 2014 2:07 PM Helpful
Hi there, I would also like to reset mac Mail to factory settings, but keep my folders in the left column with all the saved emails within them. Thanks!Steve

All replies

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Quit Mail.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go ▹ Library

from the menu bar. Move the following items from the folder that opens to the Trash (some may not exist):

• Caches/com.apple.mail
    • Saved Application State/com.apple.mail.savedState
    • Application Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmr
    • Containers/com.apple.mail
    • Mail
    • Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
    • Preferences/com.apple.mail.searchhistory.plist

Note: you are not moving the Mail application. You’re moving a folder named “Mail.”

• abhishekdey82 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks man!!! Worked like a charm... Sorry for the delay in replying!!!

• stevepo74 Level 1 Level 1

Hi there,

I would also like to reset mac Mail to factory settings, but keep my folders in the left column with all the saved emails within them.

Thanks!

Steve

• Eric Root Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Export your folders to your desktop, then import them after the reset. You may have to drag the imported messages to where you want them.

• stevepo74 Level 1 Level 1

I went through the steps that Linc Davis explained on June 21.  From his list of folders to remove, do you know which one contains the email messages?

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

The e-mail messages are stored in your user library/Mail/V2.

• Marius69004 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks a lot from France.

I only found and trashed the following files :

> MailRecents-v4.abcdmr

> com.apple.mail

> Mail

And my previous e-mails have been downloaded from my Gmail account. Perfect.

Thanks again !

• gregh3838 Level 1 Level 1

Yes, thanks Linc, it saved me.  Your the best.

Cheers

• williamisted Level 1 Level 1

I followed these instructions but Mail wouldn't let me re-add the email account, Settings > Internet Accounts and unchecking, rechecking Mail had no affect. However, removing all the previous Mail accounts completely and re-adding them has gotten Mail working like new.

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved, less people are likely to look at it. You can link to this one.

• olli.vdl Level 1 Level 1

Linc, Thanks for this, it's not the first time you have been of indirect help to me and many others I assume.

This one tip was needed to get rid of a very nasty and persistent state of Mail, after a series of beta Yosemite previews and consequent updates. At one given moment the mail app must have had a tiny thingie nuked leaving it in an unusable state. No addition of an account was possible, not accounts that were set up in SysPrefs / Internet accounts were being loaded.

I now have my main bug resolved. Not really a bug, as another user account on the same machine had no problems, so I considered this to be a state of bad luck for the given account.

Cheers!

• JayTee2312 Level 1 Level 1

Thank you,

this is the same on Yosemite, now I can start Mail again and reenter my Mailaccounts.

• BiancaMontoya Level 1 Level 1

Thank you. My Mark up feature wasn't working anymore so now it does. Thank you! Bianca

• EBOY3232 Level 1 Level 1

Just installed the 10.11 beta, everything works great EXCEPT Mail...its pretty useless...When open my entire system comes to a crawl...when I finally manage  to close it, everything returns to normal....any tips?

Previous 1 2 Next