Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset mail to factory settings.

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to Mac (6 days old). I am just wondering how to reset my mail app to the company settings? Any help will be appreciated...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2017 7:34 AM

The e-mails will still take up space on your computer, but try going to Mail/Mailbox/Export Mailbox. If the e-mails remain in the mailbox, delete them. You can then save the exported mailbox as an archive. To access the e-mails, Mail/File/Import Mailbox.

29 replies

Mar 9, 2017 4:01 PM in response to Linc Davis

So my email is a complete mess to begin With having like 17 different emails half of which I forgot passwords to... me being me a self proclaimed tech savvy cellphone genius decided to switch a bunch of crap around so much so that I don't even get my apple emails anymore or half of any of my emails due to me making and deleting folders and swapping places ..... yadahh yaddah

I want me email on my iphone7+ to go back to basic setup as it was before .... inbox. sent . Drafts. Etc etc

Is it too late to fix my mistake

Ps I don't have access to a mac or MacBook or computer of any sort ......

Annnnnnnnnnnd go ... lol

Jul 26, 2017 2:39 AM in response to Eric Root

I don't know if there is still someone here but let's try.

I have a problem with this file "V2" it is really heavy (11 Gigas) I would like to lighten it or even to delete it to make Mail not so a heavy application. What can I do if I want to conserve one year of past emails in my box, for instance?

Thank you very much!

Jul 30, 2017 9:08 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you very much for your help Eric. In fact I mistaked myself and the one that is really huge is V4. As I need it I have just spent a couple of hours deleting old heavy emails with some files attached and archiving the year 2016. I clearly need to start deleting every email that is not useful if not I loose the control on my mailboxes.

Nov 9, 2017 4:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

My problem with the Mail app is that it takes long time to send messages and after each reboot it cannot properly set the SMTP settings for my accounts and additionally I cannot remove old settings from accounts which I am no longer using (the mail app lists them in the SMTP server list).

I would like to reset the mail app to factory settings.

I followed your steps but it doesn't help in macOS High Sierra. Do you have an updated solution ?

Thanks

Jun 21, 2013 8:17 AM in response to abhishekdey82

Quit Mail.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go ▹ Library

from the menu bar. Move the following items from the folder that opens to the Trash (some may not exist):

• Caches/com.apple.mail
  • Saved Application State/com.apple.mail.savedState
  • Application Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmr
  • Containers/com.apple.mail
  • Mail
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.searchhistory.plist

Note: you are not moving the Mail application. You’re moving a folder named “Mail.”

How to reset mail to factory settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.