Hi Bryan E.
The article below may be able to help you with this issue.
Click on the link below to see more details and screenshots.
I've quoted some helpful highlights for you:
You can use the side switch on iPad to either lock the screen orientation or to mute some iPad sounds and alerts:
When you mute your iPad, only certain sounds are muted.
- Sounds such as alerts, notifications, sound effects, and game audio are muted.
- Media playback (such as music, podcasts, movies, videos, and TV shows) are not muted.
Changing the function of iPad's side switch
- Tap Settings > General.
- Under "Use Side Switch to:", select Lock Rotation
Enable / Disable Mute if "Use Side Switch" is set to Lock Rotation
- Double-click the Home button to display recently used apps.
- Flick from left to right along the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the Mute button on the bottom left of the screen.
- A slash will appear across the Mute button:
- Tap the Mute button again and you will see the speaker icon and should have sound.
- Drag the volume icon to the right to increase the volume.
I hope this information helps ....
Have a great day!