Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import .mov from aperture to FCPX

Hi,

I'm currently using Aperture & Final Cut Pro X (latest versions)

I am storing all movies (.mov h264) Full HD within Aperture. They are stored in various events and files are managed by aperture and stored within the aperture library.

My question is: What is the best way to work with these aperture movie files within Final Cut Pro and how do I best import them into FCPX.

In the past I have exported from Aperture into a folder on the HDD and then imported via FCP to work with the files. I've always used the original media import option within FCPX.

I've notice I can also drag from aperture direct into FCPX and also import via the media browser. How does that compare to what I have been doing.

What's the best option to get work with these files inot FCPX and what's the best import options.

Also, I'm still confussed (no matter how much I read) about original and proxy media. I think I should stick with original as proxy seems to decrease image quality when exporting (in mp4 or mov format HD).

If I do use the media browser or used a referenced file. Should I copy the file to FCP folder or keep where it is. If I keep where it is does it alter the original file when I make changes within FCPX.

Sorry for the questions, they are confussing reading it back. I've tried to search and read a lot about it but not really getting what I need out of it.

Basically - whats the best way to edit .mov file located in Aperture while in FCPX. Do I need to import, copy to FCPX folder and what settings do I use.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), IMAC 2009

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 4:24 AM

5 replies

Jun 21, 2013 4:35 AM in response to dan_801

It depends on the exact file type not just the codec, the complete video and audio format. In my view it's better not to put video into Aperture in the first place, but there is no need to export if your import preference is to copy to the event.

Proxy media is low quality to allow slower system including hard drives to do more complex operations in real time than might be possible with high resolution media.

Jun 21, 2013 4:43 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Aperture works great for me as a file manager for hundreds of small 1-5min files imported from various DSLR and Point & Shoot Cameras. I then use FCPX to make my movies. The exact file type is your standard .mov files (some mp4 etc) found in those cameras. The file type is not really relevant, i'm seeking the best method to import these.

The problem is you cannot import aperture files direct from FCPX using the import option. Hence my problem and question on what to do as per the original post.

Jun 21, 2013 5:27 AM in response to dan_801

You can import by drag and drop from the Photo browser if you have copy set in prefs.

The file format is extremely important because it will determine whether the files need to be optimized or not. Many files types if imported from a camera directly into FCP will be properly handled and will not require optimization. Files imported from Aperture will not be handled in the same way and may need to be optimized. The DSLR footage should be fine.

Jun 28, 2013 1:32 PM in response to dan_801

I'm in the same boat, just beginning to work with Final Cut Pro X with many movie files in Aperture.

With some movie files, it works fine to merely drag from the FCPX Photos browser into an event. But for some older movie files, FCPX says there's no movie file there. (All of these play fine in Aperture.) I think this is because the files are referenced movies and FCPX needs self-contained movies.

Here are two ways to deal with this, in my experience:

This is the simplest:

1. Select the file in Aperture and choose File > Export Original.

2. Import into FCPX

(You can't use the Edit in External Editor command, and there's no option to export a movie directly to FCPX, but you might be able to automate this process with Keyboard Maestro or Automator.)

Another method:

1. Drag the movie from Aperture to the Desktop.

2. Open the movie in QuickTime Player 7 Pro. (QuickTime Player X won't work.)

3. Save As Self-contained movie.

4. Import to FCPX.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D3380Z/A/quicktime-7-pro-for-mac-os-x

File size example:

In Aperture, the file is listed as 11 MB.

After dragging to the desktop, the file is 4K. After exporting original from Aperture, the file is 11MB.

QuickTime Player X shows the dragged file as 4K and shows only a black screen, though it acts as if the movie is playing.

FCPX also shows the dragged file as 4K.

QuickTime Player 7 Pro very briefly puts up a dialog "Searching for movie data in file "DSCN1234.MOV" then opens the file fine. (I don't know if this will work with the basic QTP 7 without the Pro registration.)

After saving as self-contained movie, the file size is 11 MB.

It's odd that Aperture can handle these files and FCPX can't. I've posted an enhancement request to Apple.

Oct 11, 2013 10:23 PM in response to dan_801

Dan,

A workflow I recently used to get a lot of movies from Aperture, which had bees shot on a Canon Mark II was as follows:-

1. Create a Folder on your desktop. I called it Aperture Movies. Create subfolders if you like for subjects etc. This will help create keywords
  2. Find your Aperture Library in Finder
  3. Right click on the file and choose "Show Package Contents"
  4. Open the Masters folder
  5. Navigate through the various folders which are arrange by date, year, month & day in that hierachy
  6. Arrange the files by type, this way all the videos are grouped together
  7. Select all the videos you want to import and create and alias for them. Easy if you are doing all the vids in each folder as you can choose all of them and create aliases in one operation.
  8. As you go, drag all the alisases into the appropriate folder in the Aperture Movies folder on your desktop
  9. Once finished go to import in FCPX and import the entire Aperture Folder from the desktop.
  10. In the import settings use optimised video but don't import the original files, not much point as they can stay in the Apertrure library.
  11. The videos will be imported with the keywords equal to the folders you created in your Aperture Movie folder on your desktop.

Looks like a lot of steps but it is a lot faster than doing anything that involves exporting from Aperture and once you have the aliases in the Folder you can import the whole folder in one click.

Import .mov from aperture to FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.