Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locally Saving Copies of some IMAP Mail Folders in MacOS X Mail App - then remove that content from server

My IMAP mail server is indicating that the disc quota is almost full and I want to keep some of the mail in those folders in local archives after deleting them from the server. Is there a process for doing this? It appears that the only way IMAP can reduce server storage consuption is by deleting content on the server. Is there a way to move folders from the IMAP server to my local hard drive?

I would like to do one of the following:

1. Move mail messages from my inbox to a "copy to my local hard drive" folder --> then copy that folder to my local hard drive in an "archives" folder --> then delete the "copy to my local hard drive" folder from the IMAP server
  2. Do all the steps in [1] locally within my MacOS X mail folders and then delete the (now) duplicate content up on the IMAP server
  3. Find some features that I may have missed in the MacOS X mail application that allow me to do either [1] or [2] from menu options

thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 5, MacOS X

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 7:55 AM

9 replies

Jun 21, 2013 8:07 AM in response to Robert Stephens

Not sure about Mac mail but with outlook you create a local folder, not a IMAP folder, and copy the mail into that. Then once copied to the local folder you can delete it from the IMAP folder/s and it whould be deleted from the server. Although mac mail isn't good at removing emails from the IMAP servers so you might want to check the webmail interface to delete.

Jun 21, 2013 3:27 PM in response to Csound1

ok, tried Option-2 and that looks like it worked (after I highlighted all the filtered messages in the inbox and "two finger tapped" on the multi-selection to bring up the menu allowing me to "move to folder").

One final question 0 how do you select "On My Mac group (account)" when using Option-2. When I did this by "two finger tapping" in the folder tree to bring up the pop-up menu with the "New Mailbox..." selection it looks like it was "automagically" created in the "ON MY MAC" group. Perhaps that is where they are always created?

thanks

Jan 21, 2014 5:15 PM in response to Robert Stephens

Well, if it's any help--I had a similar issue recently (and made the mistake of deleting IMAP mail before backing up locally, luckily I have more control over my server, so there was a rollback possible).

Instead of a smart mailbox, I simply created standard mailboxes locally, and created rules that move the mail from the main Inbox and Sent folders (IMAP) to these local folders after a set time. This solves the problem of ballooning file sizes on the mail server, as well as keeping archvial files, automatically.

Here is a screen shot of one of the rules, below the mailboxes:

User uploaded file

Locally Saving Copies of some IMAP Mail Folders in MacOS X Mail App - then remove that content from server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.