Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nikon d7100 compatability

Hello,

I have iphoto 9 on my system and it is unable to handle RAW files gebnerated by nikon d7100. Is there any pach to be downloaded?

thanks

-kamal

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 8:49 AM

11 replies

Jun 21, 2013 10:34 AM in response to kamal_prasad

Sorry - you are talking to other users just like yourself here - all we can tell you is how htings work - not what should be nor can we change anything - the Apple article I referenced tells you the answer - sorry if you do not like it

You can use your Nikon software to downlaod photos and convert to JPEG and then import into iPhoto - or just shoot JPEG

LN

Jun 21, 2013 10:39 AM in response to kamal_prasad

Raw support is at OS level, not application level. Feel free to pass you comments on what you think is sensible to the developers.

View NX will allow you to view the images, but iPhoto will process them, and that what requires the OS level interaction. So you're not comparing like with like.

Capture NX the processing app runs to about $180 and that will allow you to process the Raws. For that money you can update the OS, iPhoto and buy Aperture as well.

Jun 22, 2013 4:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

Well, Im sorry if I sounded arrogant.

Visit

http://d7100.org/how-to-open-and-edit-d7100-raw-nef-image-files/

if you have an older version of mac os/x even if its running on powerpc, if you have adobe photoshop, you just need a new plugin for a new RAW format. The plugin will make no changes to the OS. It just contains functions which photoshop elements 6 will call to handle the new file format.

If apple wants to support D7100 they only need to provide a new lib (since they dont have pluginds in iphoto).

The fact that capture nx2 will work on snow leopard means the OS does not need to be upgraded to Lion.

Beware of marketing stunts that tell you to spend money for every little thing you want to accomplish.

thanks

-kamal

Jun 24, 2013 4:03 AM in response to Keith Barkley

snow leopard 10.6.4 is within last 2 releases before current release of mac os/x i.e mountain lion.

If they do not wish to support, that is also fine with me.

It is just that the notion that the right way to fix the problem is to install the latest OS or worse upgrade the computer to a newer one is down right ridiculous.And just to let you know, the kernel (OS) underlying mac os/x does not have anything to do with RAW file format.That is entirely user space code. As regards adobe not supporting mac os 9, I do not know the history of their product but I would image that if they had adobe photoshop for mac os 9, they would certainly provide a plugin for mac os 9 version of photoshop.

thanks

-kamal

Jun 24, 2013 4:11 AM in response to kamal_prasad

And just to let you know, the kernel (OS) underlying mac os/x does not have anything to do with RAW file format.That is entirely user space code.

What I said was that Raw support is at OS level. That means that Raw updates are made and included in OS updates and provide the same access to the Raws in multiple apps. Now obviously you now more than anyone about it, so why not tell Apple what they're doing wrong

iPhoto menu -> Provide iPhoto Feedback

there's no point telling us. No one is suggesting that you upgrade anything, just that the upgrades are required if you want the Raw support. Upgrading to OS 10.7 will cost you about $20. And that's not even installing the latest OS.

Adobe certainly did have a Photoshop for OS 9. I believe every version up to Photoshop 6 (note that's Photoshop 6, not CS6) ran on OS 9. None of them are updated.

Oct 12, 2013 11:48 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have solved the problem using exiftool by phil harvey.

# exiftool -Model="Nikon D5100" *.NEF

will make the raw files compatible with iphoto on snow leopard.

If apple wants to add this support, they just need to equate tag Model="Nikon D7100" with D5100's tag.

There is no need to spend money on buying new hardware/software etc.And if someone did upgrade their older mac with newer software -result will likely be a slower interface.

thanks

-kamal

nikon d7100 compatability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.