Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No, Mail, I have NOT read that letter, despite what you say.

Okay, let's set something straight...

When I delete a letter, just because the next letter in the heirarchy moves to the top, and appears in the message pane, this does not mean that I have read the new top letter! It means it is on the top, no more than that. Apple, please stop marking things read until I have actively clicked on them. I spend more time marking things unread than anything else when I'm using Mail. Is that really how you think your users want to spend their time?

Feel free to fix this completely non-intuitive behavior on iOS, where it originated, as well!

And while we're at it, can we please put in a contextual menu item for marking letters unread in the message pane? Going to the menu every time is drudgery.

--Jay

Mail-OTHER, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 11:26 AM

6 replies

Jun 23, 2013 7:54 AM in response to Jay Lender

and right now the contextual menu only works in the title pane, which means I can only mark an entire thread unread.

No, it doesn't. If you've selected the title of a thread on the left, then you need to select the individual mails on the right. However, a shortcut key command will always be quicker than multiple mouse clicking, that's why it's called a shortcut. And, if you really want to improve your efficiency, dump the mouse and get a Trackpad.

No, Mail, I have NOT read that letter, despite what you say.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.