Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External dvd burner for 2006-07 mac pro

Dear All,

My internal Optiaric dvd burners in my 2006-07 model Mac Pro have been giving me problems lately with dual layer disc burning -- not sure if it's the burners or the new discs that they're coming out with but I'd like to get an external dual layer dvd burner that works with my 2006 - 2007 Mac Pro for back up. It would be rather costly to replace both internal drives!

I've used a Plextor firewire drive successfully for years for duplication through Roxio Toast, but my Plextor doesn't burn dual layer and I don't think that Plextor is still making burners. Any suggestions for a substantial (not light) dual layer, preferably firewire, dvd burner that will work with my older Mac and can stand up to some use? The new "light" models are so flimsy that I don't even want to deal with them! I prefer purchasing a new dvd burner rather than a used one, because you can never be sure of what you're getting with a used one and returns can be questionable.

Thanks.

Barbara

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 2:08 PM

Consider buying a current SATA Dual-Layer DVD burner of your chosing and installing it in an empty external DVD case, such as this one from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSFW8U2/

Alternatively, they have seveal different otions all made up. Most DVD drives do not benefit from the extra speed above USB2, but it does give extra flexibility.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2013 2:08 PM in response to Barbara Smits

Consider buying a current SATA Dual-Layer DVD burner of your chosing and installing it in an empty external DVD case, such as this one from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSFW8U2/

Alternatively, they have seveal different otions all made up. Most DVD drives do not benefit from the extra speed above USB2, but it does give extra flexibility.

Jun 21, 2013 3:49 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Dear Grant,

Thanks much for your reply. I have looked at this burner online and I'm glad that you brought it up -- I had considered it before and will consider other suggestions. This one looks like it would be an answer, as long as it can be returned if it doesn't work! I've purchased another brand that was supposed to work but I had to return it because it didn't finalize the disc. It burned the disc with no problems, but none of my dvd players would recognize or play the disc -- only the computer played it. I don't know what that was all about, but I want to be sure that I can return the unit if the burner doesn't create a disc that can be played in a normal dvd player.

Barb.

External dvd burner for 2006-07 mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.