Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks switch?

I am planning to get the new Air (ugraded RAM) which I think comes with OS Mountain Lion, so I am wondering when the new operating system comes out in a couple of months will it eat a lot of memory in the switch from Mountain Lion to Mavericks or is it a seamless transition?

Thanks, Apple noob here.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 12:59 PM

5 replies

Jun 21, 2013 1:01 PM in response to Marcus.Harris

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

As far as we know, Mavericks will be compatible with all computers that support Mountain Lion, so it shouldn't consume more than Mountain Lion. Apart from that, Apple is including new features in order to improve memory and CPU usage in Mavericks, so performance should be better. Anyway, I recommend you to get your MacBook with at least 8 GB of memory. See > http://www.apple.com/osx/preview

Jun 21, 2013 1:04 PM in response to Marcus.Harris

Since Mavericks has not been release yet and is still in beta testing, it is impossible to answer your question definitively.

I would say from past experience with OS X upgrades that the chance of Mavericks using more RAM or disk space is good. I would also say that I think the increase will be very small.

I certainly hope that when Mavericks is release it will be a seamless transition.

Allan

Mavericks switch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.