Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail does not close and prevents shut down

I turn off the Mail by closing the window thru the "red" buttom and try to close the machine and get an answer that Mail has denied closure. I then two finger tap the icon and select close Mail. Try to shut down again under the "apple" symbol and still get the same denial. I check the icon tray again and the program says it is closed, but the "Mail" toolbar is still open at the top. I go to the "mail" pull down and the "close" is not dark, but I select it anyway. Try to close system again as the "Mail" tray has gone and I can sometimes do a shut down, sometimes not and I just close the lid.

What gives? this has only been happening recently.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 2:38 PM

Hello, the Red button just closes a window, it doesn't quit Mail in anyway, it sounds like you may have a Mail stuck trying to go out???

Hold CMD+alt+esc keys to bring up the Force Quit menu, choose Mail.

Let's see if this helps to start with...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2013 2:38 PM in response to gottogo4247

Hello, the Red button just closes a window, it doesn't quit Mail in anyway, it sounds like you may have a Mail stuck trying to go out???

Hold CMD+alt+esc keys to bring up the Force Quit menu, choose Mail.

Let's see if this helps to start with...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Mail does not close and prevents shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.