Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't reinstall apps on new iPhone 5

I just bought an iPhone 5 and have restored a backup from my old iPhone 3GS, following the instructions on Apple's website. Everything has worked great except some of the apps on the original iPhone. When I tried moving them to the new Phone I got messages saying they couldn't be installed since the app couldn't be located. I managed to re-download all the apps from the new iPhone instead, except for three of them, which are no longer available on the App Store.

So now I wonder, are these lost or is it still possible to transfer them from the old iPhone? Because they still work on that one. When I click on the app icon in iTunes it says the app can't be found because the original file couldn't be located. I'd really appreciate your help! I'm not an expert on computers so please be patient with me haha! 😉

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 7:16 AM

13 replies

Jun 22, 2013 7:38 AM in response to BimboBoy

You transferred the backup for your iPhone 3GS available on your computer to the new iPhone with iTunes - this wasn't done from your iPhone's iCloud backup?

If so and the missing apps in your iTunes library are available on your 3GS, with your 3GS connected to iTunes at the iTunes menu bar go to File and select Transfer Purchases From - the name of your iPhone. This should make the missing apps available in your iTunes library again for transfer to your new iPhone - that is unless these apps are not compatible with the iPhone 5 for some reason.

Jun 22, 2013 8:08 AM in response to BimboBoy

There is no syncing with the Transfer Purchases From option.

Under Library in the iTunes source list, select Apps.

If your iOS Apps do not appear in the main iTunes window, select All at the top of the window.

Select one of the apps with the "can't find the original file" message when syncing. At the iTunes menu bar go to File and select Show in Finder if you have a Mac.

Jun 22, 2013 8:19 AM in response to BimboBoy

Slightly important info to include so I don't waste my time and yours providing something you have already tried.

What happens when selecting try to find it?

And you have a Mac?

If so, have you done a search on your Mac with the name of these apps based on the name of the app under the Info tab for the app after selecting Get Info for the app in iTunes?

Jun 22, 2013 8:30 AM in response to Allan Sampson

I don't understand. I tried it after reading your post, just now. 🙂 I hadn't tried it earlier.

When I select find they open the regular Program folder on my Mac. Yes I'm a Mac user.

It's strange because I now just tried clicking "Show in finder" on some apps I successfully managed to re-download on my new iPhone and I get the same error message. So it seems the problem must be transfering the files from the phone to my iMac.

When clicking "show in finder" on the apps that lets me, I come to a folder called "Mobile Applications", and none of the apps with the error message can be found in that folder, not even the ones re-downloaded from the new iPhone. Even though I've clicked "transfer purchases from this device". :S

Can't reinstall apps on new iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.