Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp insert boot disc and press any key

So I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my 2011 MacBook Pro without a disc. I used Toast Titanium to mount the iso file and that seemed to do the trick. After partitioning the hard disk, boot camp recognized the software and moved forward with the installation, however after rebooting a black screen saying "Insert boot disc and press any key" appeared. Pressing any key does nothing. My only option is to hold option while rebooting and selecting my internal hard drive and running OS X. I can't figure out for the life of me how to reboot with Windows. It just isn't working.

Am I missing a step? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks guys.

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 6:43 AM

9 replies

Jun 22, 2013 6:45 AM in response to esawicki

You need to have Windows on a DVD or a USB drive in order to install it. If you mount it in OS X, it's mounted when the operating system is running, but it's not running while you are installing Windows.

Start your computer holding the Option (Alt) key, and choose your OS X partition. Then, burn the ISO image to a DVD, or open Boot Camp Assistant (in /Applications/Utilities) and remove your Windows volume. Finally, open System Preferences > Startup Disk, and choose Macintosh HD

Jun 22, 2013 6:48 AM in response to Csound1

I was reading an article about how using Toast to mount it will trick OS X into thinking you have a physical disk. And I'm fairly certain my friend was able to install it from an iso. Unfortunately we had a falling out and I don't want to ask him for tech advice haha

Hm, so you're positive you can't install Windows from an iso?

Jun 22, 2013 6:51 AM in response to esawicki

esawicki wrote:

I was reading an article about how using Toast to mount it will trick OS X into thinking you have a physical disk. And I'm fairly certain my friend was able to install it from an iso. Unfortunately we had a falling out and I don't want to ask him for tech advice haha

Hm, so you're positive you can't install Windows from an iso?

Yup, if your Mac has an optical drive it is the only supported method for installing Windows, you can futz around with 'workarounds' as much as you like, and occasionally one may work. I would just use a disk, it works that way.

Jun 22, 2013 9:22 AM in response to mende1

So thankfully I was able to find a DVD and burn the iso to that and everything went much more smoothly from there, however once Windows installation began it copied the windows files, but has now been stuck at "Expanding Windows Files." It's been stuck at 0% for about an hour. Is this normal? Should I just wait it out or am I encountering another problem that I need to fix?

Boot camp insert boot disc and press any key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.