Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't charge or mount in Snow Leopard, but works fine in Bootcamp?

Little background, I should note that I've just reinstalled Snow Leopard and I did have some extension trouble from trying to copy extensions back from a backup HD, not sure if this is going to be relevant or not.

Basically, my Macbook literally doesn't acknowledge my iPhone's existance if I'm booted up in Snow Leopard. It doesn't charge, doesn't mount, doesn't appear in iTunes, nothing whatsoever. It's like it doesn't exist. Crucially, other iPhones won't charge either, didn't try mounting any others as I didn't want to accidentally sync someone else's phone with my library, but essentially I'm 100% certain this isn't an iPhone problem and it's not a USB cable issue either since it charges fine under Bootcamp XP on the same machine.

Interestingly, it actually *DOES* appear in System Profiler:

USB High-Speed Bus:

Built in iSight

iPhone

802.11n WLAN (external wireless dongle I have since my airport antenna was damaged)

I can only assume this must be a software issue with the Macbook SL installation. I checked Activity Monitor and iTunes Helper is running, thought its absence might explain the glitch but no luck.

Any suggestions as to anything I could try?

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 7:36 AM

1 reply

Jun 22, 2013 2:17 PM in response to hatrickpatrick

Software update fully under the Apple menu.

Run through this list of fixes

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

Apple is using the iPhone software updates to get you to upgrade your OS X version to one of the later ones which will make your machine crawl and deny use of your older PPC based software and games.

The reason it works with Windows is because Windows is supported a decade per version on average, OS X is only supported for a few short years.

So if your machine is older than a 2011 machine, I would suggest you use Windows 7 as it will get support until 2020.

OS X 10.4/10.5 need to upgrade, 10.6.8 ok still

iPhone won't charge or mount in Snow Leopard, but works fine in Bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.