Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts error every 30 seconds: "IMAP factory connection failed"

I've just installed ML Server (2.2.1) on a Mac mini system running 10.8.4.

It's a very simple configuration, with only three services enabled: Time Machine, File Sharing, and Contacts. I have three user accounts set up. The three services appear to be working fine. A couple of laptops are using the TM service for backup. The file sharepoints are accessible to all. A number of iDevices and Macs using Contacts and/or Address Book apps are able to access a shared group of contacts on the server.

However, the Error Log for the Contacts service is reporting an error every thirty seconds:

2013-06-22 14:48:58-0400 [-] [mailgateway] 2013-06-22 14:48:58-0400 [Uninitialized] [twistedcaldav.mail.IMAP4DownloadFactory#error] IMAP factory connection failed

My troubleshooting so far indicates that this error is related to the Calendar service, which needs e-mail access in order to send out and receive event invitations. But I do not have the Calendar service enabled, nor the Mail service. (and I have no plans to turn either of these up).

Even though the Calendar service is turned off, I've checked to make sure that "Enable invitations by e-mail" checkbox is not checked. (that fix was proposed in another discussion thread here).

Can anyone explain why the server is attempting to make an IMAP connection, and more importantly, help me figure out how to stop the error messages every thirty seconds.

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 12:07 PM

1 reply

Jun 26, 2013 11:02 AM in response to D.R.C.

OP here with some additional information regarding this ongoing problem.

I realized that by default, the Alerts service was configured to send out e-mails notifying of various problems (disk unreachable, disk space, virus detected, etc). I unchecked all the boxes for E-mail notification, and for good measure, erased the Recipient e-mail address that appears on the Alerts screen. Alas, this made no difference. The same "IMAP factory connection failed" error is still getting generated every 30 seconds.

Perhaps an undocumented required for ML Server is that the Mail service has to be activated?? If so, why would Apple provide an ON/OFF switch for the Mail service? There must be some way to disable ML Server from attempting to make an IMAP connection.

Contacts error every 30 seconds: "IMAP factory connection failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.