Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing OS 9 Monitor Setting

I'm editing video with OS 9 -based editing software on a PM G4 MDD 1.25 Ghz. I have to use it in OS 9 because it won't work in Classic on OS X.

The screen resolution gets poorer (not sharp enough) in OS 9 and when I go to the Monitors tab in the control strip, all I get is one screen dimension - no choices. I remember there used to be a selection. Is there a way of changing the resolution - maybe a workaround? Could it be an extension setting? (I can't adjust the LCD itself) The other thing is that there's a certain amount of compressed image, which isn't so nice either. In OS X one simply has a choice from System Prefs/Displays.

Also, when I switch to OS 9 the fan gets louder and stays that way. I wonder why?

Thanks for advice,

K

MDD G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 9:00 AM

When using the Monitors control panel, you need to check the box "List all Modes," in order to see all of the available resolutions that are supported by your graphics card. Your LCD display has an optimal resolution and refresh rate, and that's the one that hasn't been selected. I assume that the display appears normal in OS X, so that would indicate that the graphics card does support the display's optimal settings. As for the fan, you're undoubtedly aware that the MDDs are described as wind tunnels. You'd think that OS 9 would be less processor-intensive than OS X and generate less heat, but obviously the fans are responding to a higher measured temperature. During video editing, I can understand why the internal temperature rises and the fan(s) respond accordingly. If the fan noise is louder as soon as you boot into OS 9, then that's a part of the original programming that was likely changed in OS X, to be less annoying to the ear when using the computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2013 9:00 AM in response to keithgvp

When using the Monitors control panel, you need to check the box "List all Modes," in order to see all of the available resolutions that are supported by your graphics card. Your LCD display has an optimal resolution and refresh rate, and that's the one that hasn't been selected. I assume that the display appears normal in OS X, so that would indicate that the graphics card does support the display's optimal settings. As for the fan, you're undoubtedly aware that the MDDs are described as wind tunnels. You'd think that OS 9 would be less processor-intensive than OS X and generate less heat, but obviously the fans are responding to a higher measured temperature. During video editing, I can understand why the internal temperature rises and the fan(s) respond accordingly. If the fan noise is louder as soon as you boot into OS 9, then that's a part of the original programming that was likely changed in OS X, to be less annoying to the ear when using the computer.

Changing OS 9 Monitor Setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.