Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FiOS & Airport Express(s)

I'm looking to change my local network and NAS configuration. Here's my current config (FiOS TV M-DVR so ActionTec must be DHCP router):

FiOS ActionTec Rev F 10/100 Ethernet 4-port

Netgear R6300 WAN port Cat5e to ActionTec LAN port

MyBook Live 2TB NAS Cat5e to R6300 LAN port

Win7 PC Cat5e to R6300 LAN port

R6300 static IP in 192.168.1.x from ActionTec

R6300 DHCP in 192.168.18.x (double NAT) so internal LAN is isolated and provides guest capabilities.

What I think may better suit my needs for better wireless coverage is as follows:

Airport Express #1 WAN port config in bridge mode Cat5e to LAN port of ActionTec

Airport Express #2 via Powerline ethernet to family room config to join Airport Express #1 wireless network

MyBook Live Cat5e to LAN port of ActionTec set to static IP from ActionTec

I realize that I cannot have a guest network but having better wireless coverage is my goal. I use Time Machine from my macbook pro to the MyBook Live NAS.

What's the community think???

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 4:32 PM

Airport Express #1 WAN port config in bridge mode Cat5e to LAN port of ActionTec

Airport Express #2 via Powerline ethernet to family room config to join Airport Express #1 wireless network

I realize that I cannot have a guest network but having better wireless coverage is my goal. I use Time Machine from my macbook pro to the MyBook Live NAS.

You lose gigabit for the mybook live.. that is a big loss..

You do not need two express units.. you do not need the R6300 in router mode.

You can have an express via EOP adapters connected to R6300 or ActionTec. Then create a wireless network near your equipment.

I have to go off so don't have time to spell it out in detail.

If your double NAT is an issue.. simply use R6300 in AP mode if it has that option.. but any wireless router can work in AP mode, by using wan bypass.. that means you simply set a static ip in the unit.. for LAN side.. and turn off DHCP.. plug from ActionTec to the LAN port of the R6300.. bypassing the wan.. and hence it becomes a dumb switch and AP unit.

Try mounting up high and reorientate to see if you can get better signal.. these are supposed to have reasonably good wireless. No luck then EOP to another WAP.. doesn't need to be express.. indeed with new Extreme out, 4th and 5th generation Extreme are selling cheap as on ebay or even apple refubished store.. much better wireless unit than express.. gigabit and much more powerful processor.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2013 4:32 PM in response to MajorIP4

You can have an express via EOP adapters connected to R6300 or ActionTec. Then create a wireless network near your equipment.

If your double NAT is an issue.. simply use R6300 in AP mode if it has that option.. but any wireless router can work in AP mode, by using wan bypass.. that means you simply set a static ip in the unit.. for LAN side.. and turn off DHCP.. plug from ActionTec to the LAN port of the R6300.. bypassing the wan.. and hence it becomes a dumb switch and AP unit.

Try mounting up high and reorientate to see if you can get better signal.. these are supposed to have reasonably good wireless. No luck then EOP to another WAP.. doesn't need to be express.. indeed with new Extreme out, 4th and 5th generation Extreme are selling cheap as on ebay or even apple refubished store.. much better wireless unit than express.. gigabit and much more powerful processor.

Jun 22, 2013 4:50 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague wrote:

You are correct about cheaper Gen5 AE - Microcenter has them for $149. However I do need EOP to my downstairs room. Every wireless router I have used upstairs just doesn't do a good job downstairs no matter how high I place it. Maybe two Gen5 AEs might be a better setup.

FiOS & Airport Express(s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.