Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband recognizes midi but won't play

I have an ALesis QS7 Keyboard and a Yamaha UX15 midi to USB interface that I've plugged into my Macbook Pro in hopes of recording some midi tracks. Unfortunately, while I do get Garageband to recognize the midi, it doesn't respond when I play the keyboard. Can someone tell me what seetings I need in these areas:

System Pref --> Audio In

System Pref -> Audio Out

Garageband Pref -> Audio IN

Garageband Pref -> Audio Out

Audio Midi Utility

Basically, when I have Garageband open and I plug in the USB from the Yamaha, Garageband comes alive and says: "The number of MIDI inputs has changed. You now have one available" But the sound doesn't play.

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 2:13 PM

There's nothing you have to set to receive midi signals.

First of all: are you trying to record to a software instrument track? Does it register any notes when you record? Does a little blue dot in the "LDC" window light up each time you strike a key on your keyboard?

6 replies

Jun 25, 2013 6:22 PM in response to mikekmikek

Hey, I FINALLY got it to work. I took your suggestion and put In to Out and Out to In, and got nothing, but then as a final last resort I reset my QS7 to factory settings and it worked! Woohoo! This is an old keyboard I've had for years and obviously I had screwed around with the programming to the point that the MIDI settings were all messed up. Resetting the keyboards did the trick. Thanks for your help and patience!

Garageband recognizes midi but won't play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.