Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see airport express in airport utility

Just purchased an airport express to add to my network for the purpose of steaming music wirelessly. The network already has an airport Extreme as the base and four other expresses wired via CAT-5e in an distributed network that is working great. I had one other room that I wanted to stream music without running additional CAT 5e. I cannot get the express to show in airport utility so I can configure it.

Computer: I-mac OS X 10.8.4

airport extreme: bridge mode with 4 expresses underneath in bridge mode

Do have a verizon router above the extreme (FIOS) but the wireless is turned off

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 1:25 PM

Assuming that the AirPort Express is in range of a wireless signal, with the AirPort Express powered on, push and hold the reset button on the back of the device for 7-8 seconds and release.

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart

Close AirPort Utility if it is open

Click the AirPort icon at the top of the screen on your Mac and wait a few seconds for a listing of New AirPort Base Station to appear

Just below that, click on AirPort Express

User uploaded file

AirPort Setup will open automatically and take a minute to analyze the network, then announce that the Express will be configured to extend the network.

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Express, and click Next

AirPort Setup will take another minute to configure things. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it.

If you want the Expess to "join" the wireless network and not provide any additional wireless coverage......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Express, then click Edit

Click the Wireless tab

Click the Network Mode selection box and choose Join a wireless network

If the setting does not appear, hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Network Mode selection box

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Caezar46

Assuming that the AirPort Express is in range of a wireless signal, with the AirPort Express powered on, push and hold the reset button on the back of the device for 7-8 seconds and release.

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart

Close AirPort Utility if it is open

Click the AirPort icon at the top of the screen on your Mac and wait a few seconds for a listing of New AirPort Base Station to appear

Just below that, click on AirPort Express

User uploaded file

AirPort Setup will open automatically and take a minute to analyze the network, then announce that the Express will be configured to extend the network.

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Express, and click Next

AirPort Setup will take another minute to configure things. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it.

If you want the Expess to "join" the wireless network and not provide any additional wireless coverage......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Express, then click Edit

Click the Wireless tab

Click the Network Mode selection box and choose Join a wireless network

If the setting does not appear, hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Network Mode selection box

Jun 22, 2013 6:56 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob - thank you for the tips. I had actually already attempeted the first few step you suggested...close the utility and reset the device and it would still not show in the "other Wi-FI Devices" drop down. Network range should not be an issue as I have great coverage throughout the house but just in case I move the new Express into the same room and the Extreme to see if I could get it to recognize it with no luck. Anymore troubleshooting tips?

Jun 22, 2013 7:34 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Hummm - I literally purchased it, took it out of the factory wrapping and plugged it in today. I would assume it would already be at the factory default. That said I did do the factory default reset per the manual as you suggested. I then opened Airport Utility waited for a few minutes to no avail. The airport Express sits there with a flashing amber light...mocking me...

Jun 22, 2013 7:36 PM in response to Caezar46

Caezar46 wrote:

Hummm - I literally purchased it, took it out of the factory wrapping and plugged it in today. I would assume it would already be at the factory default. That said I did do the factory default reset per the manual as you suggested. I then opened Airport Utility waited for a few minutes to no avail. The airport Express sits there with a flashing amber light...mocking me...

Sounds like you have a defective unit. I'd return it.

Jun 22, 2013 7:45 PM in response to Caezar46

Your profile indiccates that you are using Mountain Lion (10.8.2), but your post mentions that you are using Mountain Lion (10.8.4), likely indicating that you have recently updated the operating system and AirPort Utility.

Close AirPort Utility and try the following on your Mac:

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click WiFi on the left, then click Advanced at the lower right

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for iPv6 is set to Automatic or Link Local

Click OK, then click Apply and close the windows

Restart the Mac and the AirPort Express

Don't open AirPort Utility, click the AirPort icon and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Click on AirPort Express just below that, as in the example above.

See if AirPort Setup will recognize the Express now.

If that's not it, I'm out of ideas other than taking the Express to an Apple Store to let the folks there take a look at the device.

Jun 23, 2013 5:56 AM in response to Bob Timmons

OK - thanks again Bob - Got it figured it out. Tums out you have to have Wi-Fi on the MAC turned on, which I'm sure would probably be obvious to everyone except me. The MAC is connected via Ethernet so I don't keep WIFI on. I just assumed since the network was up and running that the utility would be able to see the express. Sorry for wasting everyone's time...thanks for the help.

Dec 30, 2013 4:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I did try this and cannot seem to get the airport express to connect to the wifi network. I just want to use this in client mode to stream music to my stereo. Initially had it working but had to connect to the airport express and disconnect from the wifi network. This created problems with using remote on an iphone 5. When I connect to the wifi network, I am told an error occurred but it does not say what the error is. Also cannot always see the network either with a mac or pc.

Can't see airport express in airport utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.