Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Government Alerts (AT&T) + MicroCell = dead battery

Previous post with other info:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5111208?start=0&tstart=0

Sat. June 15, I get the Govt. Alerts update (OTA) to my iPhone 4, 6.1.3.

My battery drains fast, used to last 48 plus hours, now lasts 6. I have a MicroCell device at home. Battery drains fast while phone's on the MicroCell network, but not if I'm in a nearby city with 3G service. I have another iPhone 4 in the same house on the same MicroCell network, it's battery usage is impressive, lasts like 72 hours with moderate usage, but this phone runs 6.0, not 6.1.3 and was not sent the Gov. Alerts update. My phone goes from "ATT Microcell" displayed in the top of screen to "Searching" and back to ATT Microcell every 2.5 to 3 minutes, clockwork, like it's disconnecting from the MC, then searching for another network, then reconnecting to the MC. There's a lot about this on the net, old problem. Funny thing, I got the MC one month ago, and it worked great, never experienced the battery drain until the Govt. update; in fact, the MC improved my battery life because I had a stable connection to the MC network and it wasn't busy searching all day for a marginal to poor signal, until the Govt. update.

So, here's my question: How do I fix it, the disconnect every 3 minutes all day/draining battery issue?

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 3:15 PM

65 replies

Jun 22, 2013 4:04 PM in response to deggie

Lots..

The previous post highlights most of it, but for the sake of recap:

Spent literally dozens of hours on the phone with both AT&T and AppleCare, spoke to one or two people who actually knew something.

Sent phone diagnostic to AppleCare, result, battery is fine - normal operation.

Backup and restore via iTunes (set up phone as new) *

Turned down brightness. I always close background apps.

Turned off both Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts in Notifications, (Presidential Alerts are not visible and can't be turned off).

Turned off WiFi.

Full "deplete to 0%, recharge to 100%" before each of the above steps, including the "press and hold Power/Home button reset"

None of these step had any affect on the rapid depletion of the battery.

THEN:

I unplugged the MicroCell. Charged battery to 100% at 11 a.m., currently at 80% now at 5 p.m. 6 hours, 20% used, light to moderate usage, WiFi is on, screen's bright enough. What I'd call "normalizing". At this rate, battery should last about 30 hours, almost what I'd expect. Take into account, I'm still living in a marginal to poor AT&T area, so my phone's still looking for connection, just not every 2.5 to 3 minutes like it was w/ the MC device connected.

(* Part of the restore process installed 6.1.3 on the phone [obviously] AND the carrier update [Govt. Alerts] - I was advised by Apple to let it happen)

Jun 22, 2013 4:12 PM in response to trebber

It does not appear that you reset the Microcell. I have one here at home that we use on two iPhone 4S and an iPhone 4. None have that problem. We all run 6.1.3 and have the Government alerts and have them on. See if there is a problem with the Microcell. It can happen. First try to reset it. If that doesn't help, then go to the AT&T Microcell page and remove your phone numbers and the Microcell. Wait about 3 hours. Go back to the Microcell page, and register the Microcell like it was brand new. If you forget the instructions on how to do that, they are on the web page.

If that doesn't help, I recommend having AT&T check the Microcell. It may have a problem and needs repair/replacement. Only other thing you can check is the connection of the Microcell to your router/network. You might need to reset your router to have it re-establish a good connection/IP address.

Jun 22, 2013 7:44 PM in response to trebber

It appears your problem does revolve around the Microcell as I mentioned earlier, and KiltedTim said again. The purpose of the wait is to give the system a chance to remove the device from the system.

I would contact AT&T and see what kind of service options they have for the Microcell. If it is out of warranty, that might be a problem too. If it is quite old, there may be a firmware update as well. They would be the ones to be able to explain that to you. As I mentioned earlier, I have not had any issue with mine, you see the phone act better without it, so that leads me to believe you need to either repair or replace the Microcell.

Jun 22, 2013 8:37 PM in response to KiltedTim

"follow the directions"

Will do

Just deactivated, will start up again tomorrow am.

"If it is out of warranty, If it is quite old"

Nope, Funny thing, I got the MC one month ago, and it worked great.

Yes, I will call AT&T. Part of the activation process includes updating the MC's software (firmware) so it's probably up to date. As I said in the original post,

never experienced the battery drain until the Govt. update; in fact, the MC improved my battery life because I had a stable connection to the MC network and it wasn't busy searching all day for a marginal to poor signal, until the Govt. update.

Now it seems to be searching, although only momentarilly, for a network every 2.5 min.

Jun 23, 2013 10:27 AM in response to trebber

Well, I have installed the latest AT&T carrier update, and I also use a Microcell at home. My Microcell, however is several years old. I've got the government updates active on all of my devices, and am not experiencing any change in battery usage, or failure of connection as you experience. I really don't think this is the carrier update, however that does not mean you have a corrupt copy of it. Good luck working with AT&T in resolving your problem.

Jun 24, 2013 11:20 AM in response to trebber

I am having the same issue. Before the update, I'd take my phone off the charger in the morning, and put it on the charger before bed. After the update, my iPhone 4 goes from 100% to 0% in 4 hours while using the MC. It's startling to see the low battery warning when you aren't used to seeing it very often. I'll try re-setting my MC, tonight.

Government Alerts (AT&T) + MicroCell = dead battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.