Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD does not recognize a widescreen Movie from FCP X

As the title of this post says, I exported a movie in widescreen format, but when I want to make an iDVD widescreen Project, it forces de video to 4:3, it looks awful. I´m sure it´s in widescreen because Quicktime recognizes as it. I´m using FCP X 10.08, OS X 10.8.4, iDVD 7.1.2 the latest at this time

iDVD '08, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Using FCP X 10.08

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 8:16 PM

13 replies

Jul 4, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Klaus1

The links you gave are somewhat out-of-date(one of them is broken). My video, exported ProRes 422 from FCPX at an aspect ration of 16:9, opens in Quicktime at that same ratio. According to the first link, everything should be fine in that case. But when it is dropped into iDVD, in a project set as 16:9, it is compressed to 4:3. Do you have any more up-to-date information on this problem? Thanks.

Jul 7, 2013 6:15 AM in response to CorbomiteBHayes

If your FCP project is HD resolution, iDVD should display it properly as 16:9. (If working with non-square pixel formats like HDV, change the project settings to a square pixel resolution like 1920X1080.) (To clarify, make those project changes within FCPX.)

If you're working with SD anamorphic material, either use the QT Pro method described in the working link above or do a search for a free app named anamorphicizer.

Russ

Message was edited by: Russ H To add clarification.

Jul 26, 2013 4:04 AM in response to garymckinstry

garymckinstry wrote:

I could use the fixes when I was working in FCE but not now in FCPX. I need to make a 16:9 and looks like I'll have to go back to FCE, looks like I have wasted £200!!!!!

I'm assuming you shot SD. Both FCE and FCPX export anamorphic videos in the Quick Time container…and there is no codec or frame rate that is available to FCE that isn't available in FCPX. On fact it's quite the reverse; FCPX offers many more ways to export – far more formats – than FCE.

So there is no reason why either the QT Pro fix or Anamorphicizer would work for FCE files and not for FCPX.

If you're shooting HD (and if not, hopefully you will soon) there is no need to do any workarounds prior to giving iDVD the file.

Good luck.

Russ

Jul 26, 2013 4:33 PM in response to Mikaelo

Hi Russ thanks but it happens in both sd and hdv so I can't understand it, I have quicktime 7 and 10 and my videos play fine on those on both machines. The qt pro fix works fine on SL on the macbook pro, so I think the problem is with Lion and idvd on the imac, thanks. (I have just done a 2 minute piece hdv on the z1 and exported it but idvd is squeezing it back to 4:3, HDV is naturally widescreen anyway so don't know why it is doing this. any help is appreciated)

May 22, 2014 1:38 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks for the suggestion, which worked! When I started from 1280 x 720 the first time, iDvd managed to generate a movie with something like a 5:1 aspect ratio, very letterboxy indeed!

Note that if you want to end up with PAL standard as I did and not NTSC, you should set the frame size to be 1024 x 576, not as above.

iDVD does not recognize a widescreen Movie from FCP X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.