Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote won't work even after pairing remote to apple tv

my apple tv worked last night just fine. Went to use it tonight and the remote won't work. The light blinks on the apple tv when I push the buttons on the remote but it won't select anything on the screen. Everything is showing up on my tv but my remote wont work. I have tried resetting the apple tv with the remote and repairing it, and unplugging it. Not sure what is going on. I dont have the cable to plug into my computer to reset the apple tv that way. I am out of options. Need some help!! Thanks.

Apple TV

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 7:35 PM

3 replies

Jun 23, 2013 2:29 AM in response to ukwildcats

Odd. If the light blinks when you press remote keys, the IR sensor on AppleTV should be ok and so should the remote and its battery.

Have you tried holding menu with left arrow key for at least 6 secs? (This unpairs a remote but might work if AppleTV is 'confused' and thinks it's paired with a different one, which doesd occasionally happen).

The Apple remote produces some kind of identifying code so that a device can 'pair' and respond only to remotes with that code.

There is a keypress sequence on the remote which can change the remote's code which could then make a paired remote unable to control as its ID has changed.

AC

remote won't work even after pairing remote to apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.