Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2009 iMac + 10.8.4 + Target Display Mode + Brightness Control?

I'm trying to get my Late 2009 27" iMac to work as a monitor for my new PC.

Yesterday, I was able to successfully use the iMac as a display for my PC (mini displayport to displayport cable), using Target Display Mode with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The only problem was that I couldn't control the iMac's brightness (way too bright. The PC's GPU control panel's brightness control is weak). According to my searching, that is an issue with Snow Leopard and Apple began to fix the brightness control starting with Lion 10.7.2

I just downloaded Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and now I can't get Target Display Mode working at all. Pressing command+F2 makes the screen flash black for a split second, but never connects the PC.

Is there anybody who has successfully achieved Target Display Mode + Brightness control on a late 2009 iMac? Especially if using 10.8 Mountain Lion?

I have read these threads, but no success:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4205040?answerId=19619947022#19619947022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4042250?answerId=19071622022#19071622022

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), displayport, target display mode

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 2:37 PM

I'm able to get target display mode and brightness control working now on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 using my late 2009 iMac.

My solution was to keep hitting cmd+F2 until it works.

It takes me anywhere from 3-15 tries each time, to enter target display mode. The screen will flicker when it is unsuccessful and sometimes just go blank. Sometimes, there is a delay of up to 7 seconds before you see a flicker or blank screen or success. So I might be sitting here for a minute or two just hitting cmd+F2 before it actually works. Very annoying, but at least it's working now.

When I was using Snow Leopard 10.6.8, it always worked on the first try. The cable I'm using is: StarTech Model MDP2DPMM6 6 ft. DisplayPort Adapter Cable M-M.

Switching out of target display mode (cmd+F2 again) works everytime on the first try.

Hope that helps anybody else who had my issue.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2013 2:37 PM in response to wirex

I'm able to get target display mode and brightness control working now on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 using my late 2009 iMac.

My solution was to keep hitting cmd+F2 until it works.

It takes me anywhere from 3-15 tries each time, to enter target display mode. The screen will flicker when it is unsuccessful and sometimes just go blank. Sometimes, there is a delay of up to 7 seconds before you see a flicker or blank screen or success. So I might be sitting here for a minute or two just hitting cmd+F2 before it actually works. Very annoying, but at least it's working now.

When I was using Snow Leopard 10.6.8, it always worked on the first try. The cable I'm using is: StarTech Model MDP2DPMM6 6 ft. DisplayPort Adapter Cable M-M.

Switching out of target display mode (cmd+F2 again) works everytime on the first try.

Hope that helps anybody else who had my issue.

Jun 28, 2013 12:33 AM in response to wirex

Update:

After two days of hitting cmd+F2 over and over, to get target display mode to work, it seemed to get less reliable everytime, until I got tired of trying for 5-10 minutes straight and it still working. I even bought a new, more expensive displayport to mini displayport cable and no luck.

Solution:

I downgraded to 10.7.2 as somebody mentioned in a previous thread and target display mode works and so does brightness control (although the brightness is set to full brightness each time you switch from imac to the other computer--you just lower the brightness each time).

I don't know about any other versions of 10.8.x or 10.7.x, but I can conclude that if you use a Late 2009 iMac, your safest bet is just stick to 10.7.2. Don't put yourself through the torture of 10.8.4.

Jun 28, 2013 12:55 PM in response to wirex

I just wanted to confirm that you're not alone with this issue. I have a mid-2010 27" iMac and having the exact same issues. I've used this setup for over 2 years without problems but after 10.8.4, I have to spend 5-15mins pressing cmd+F2 every time I want to switch to TDM 😟

I started my own thread earlier (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5085224?start=0&tstart=0) but the suggestion to repair security didn't help. I've since tried reinstalling OS X to no avail.

I'm seriously considering selling the iMac and buying a decent monitor instead.

Jul 2, 2013 9:49 AM in response to wirex

To keep hitting command-F2 until it finally works is not really a solution, is it?

I'm having the exact same problems since updating to 10.8.4, and it's been driving me insane after troubleshooting for days now, and only now finding this thread here. It takes me 10+ tries of hitting command-F2 until it finally works, and it's maddening. I don't even dare put the computers to sleep anymore to not have to go through it again.

I hope there'll be a fix from Apple very soon (10.8.5?) as otherwise I'll have to completely reinstall the OS after wiping the HD first.

This has definitely burned me from ever auto-updating the OS again.

I'm disabling all auto-updates now. I truly hope Apple is listening and will fix this very soon.

Jul 6, 2013 6:26 AM in response to wirex

I'm having the exact same problem with 10.8.4 running on my 27" Late 2009 iMac. I have my iMac hooked up to my PC's Radeon 6870 via DisplayPort. It has always worked perfectly for me, but now the screen either just flickers, or goes to a black screen. If you keep trying, eventually it will switch successfully, but it takes a LOT of tries. I hope Apple fixes this soon, or someone finds a better workaround. This is a very important feature for me. I built my PC around it and it heavily influenced my decision to buy the iMac itself.

Jul 16, 2013 2:57 AM in response to wirex

Wow, am I lucky that I found this thread as I was updating from 10.8.2 to 10.8.4! I force quit the App Store straight away as it doesn't let you stop downloading an update (not installing, but just downloading!) without force quitting the App Store.

In the past there have been a few breaks to the target display mode in some updates. It's an absolute shambles how Apple releases updates that time to time again, breaks target display mode functionality. For me, target display mode was the reason for buying an iMac, knowing that I will always be able to use it as a monitor for my MBP 15" and also my gaming PC.

10.6.x (what ever shipped with the 2010 27" iMac) was great. Updating to 10.6.8 broke being able to adjust brightness when in target display mode, it was always 100%. That was really annoying and made me upgrade to Mountain Lion (after reading the forums that ML returned functionality that Apple broke with their update).

10.8.1 then was great, everything worked, it was a mistake going to 10.8.2.

Since updating to 10.8.2 the internal speakers have really bad distortion for about 10 seconds after not having any audio played through them for a few minutes. That's ok, I can live with that, but there was an even worse bug that 10.8.2 brought to target display mode. Once in about 10 times of using cmd-f2 to switch back to my iMac from my gaming PC, the iMac stops responding to my USB keyboard + mouse, and also to the bluetooth mouse and keyboard. It's a real PITA to have to hold the power key down and wait the long start up time from a forced shutdown once a day. It's an OS software issue as I am still able to use Teamviewer to remote control the iMac as normal, just neither the bluetooth or USB inputs will work.

I was going to update to 10.8.4 but after reading that there's even worse issues, i'll hold back and put up with the pain that is 10.8.2, as 10.8.4 sounds absoleutely unuseable for my purpose.

Apple please get your act together and TEST your updates with iMac's equiped with target display mode BEFORE releasing the updates. I'll be happy to put up my hand to test updates as I am a heavy user of target display mode with multiple devices.

As is, it is a bad reflection of your company that users have to put up with your broken updates, and that you don't learn from your mistakes time and time again.

Shame really.

Jun 15, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Mordrin

When the HDD on my late 2009 27" iMac gave up the ghost for the second time I decided to try to use the screen of the iMac as output for a new Mac Mini and/or as a second screen for my 13" Macbook Pro. I tried all the usual things mentioned in the discussion groups but kept on getting a either a black screen or just a very faint image. A few had suggested using a Belkin mini display port cable since Apple no longer produce them. I want to state loud and clearly that this turned out to be extremely important and made a night and day difference. Up to then I had been trying a Brazilian produced mini display port cable. In fact the image is now better than the original iMac and is absolutely stunning, possibly because the image board in the Mac Mini is better than the one in the 2009 iMac. Apple equipment in Brazil is at least two to three times as expensive as in the US because of huge importation taxes and this has save me at least $2000 to buy a quality screen. Strangely, I do not need to carry out the CMD-F2 keystroke to activate the connection, it just connects directly.

Peter Pearson, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Late 2009 iMac + 10.8.4 + Target Display Mode + Brightness Control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.