Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screw type for G5 PCI card slot cover?

Hello,

In my attempt to install a PCI-X expansion card in my 2004 Dual 2Ghz G5(June 2004), I accidentally dropped the screw in the computer. I tried finding it but gave up searching.

What screw type/size is this screw?

Thanks in advance!

Power Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Pro Tools HD3, SNS Fibre Channel

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 4:02 AM

3 replies

Jun 23, 2013 9:26 AM in response to Armando Diaz

It would be nice if Apple used the same machine screw sizes as PCs have for years, but they had a habit of using a metric thread pitch, when tapping holes in the chassis. A 3.5M was a common machine screw used in Apple products for years, and it was manufactured with a captive externally-toothed lockwasher under the bolt head. The very common #6-32 machine screw used for many hardware applications in PCs - like a PCI card retainer - resembles the 3.5M in bolt size, but the thread pitch is finer. If you attempt to insert it into the hole, it may rotate about a ½-turn, but stop. If this occurs, you know that the hole isn't tapped for a #-32 machine screw. Substituting a #6-32 for a 3.5M by force will likely strip the screw threads and/or the chassis threads. It would be easier if you tilted the tower in all directions with the side panel open, to get the screw to drop out. My concern with a "floating:" screw is the chance of shorting something on the motherboard, if it came to rest against the PCB in the wrong place. It's probably a slim chance for that to occur, but why take the risk.

Jun 23, 2013 4:34 PM in response to Armando Diaz

Thanks Jeff and kaz-k!

You both got me worried about the missing screw shorting something so I did the "tilt-o-whirl". The screw came out after two turns and is now re-installed with it's pci cover plate.

It probably didn't have much of a chance in doing any harm, as it fell down into the rear area where the two fans are located. It obviously didn't interfere with either fan's operation.

Thanks again!

Screw type for G5 PCI card slot cover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.