Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMovie'11 support Canon XA20 (1920x1080 50i) ?

I consider to buy the new Canon XA 20 camcorder, which will be available in The Netherlands shortly. In the list 'Supported camera's iMovie I read about the Canon XA20: "iMovie does not support footage recorded in 1080-50p from this Camcorder". Does anyone know if iMovie'11 supports the format: 1920x1080: 50i/PF25 (24Mbps, 17 Mbps). It seems to be possible recording in this format with the XA20.

Thanks!

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 9:00 AM

1080/50i 24mbps is supported by the actual vers11

for 1080/50p, or material beyond 24mbps, you have to switch to FCPX

......... or wait 'til October, when hopefully iM jumps from vers11 to vers14 😝😁😎

4 replies

Jun 23, 2013 11:47 PM in response to John Cogdell

John Cogdell wrote:

… Stop teasing us Karsten! …

naw, just kiddin'!

"those who know, don't tell. those who tell, don't know."

I have no insights, just common sense: iM11 is FOUR years old, FCPX meanwhile offers 'everything', the average hobbyist misses in consumer-tool iM (e.g. support of AVCHD v2, plugins), and - insight info ahead! - on the other hand, Apple is busy preparing transition from Quicktime to AVFoundation. And, looking beyond Cupertinos horizon (I have this priviledge as a non-Apple employee), 'video' gets more&more popular, Vine, Facebook, Instagram, to mention a few. Integration of these 'social networks' is another area .......

so, it's just an 'educated guess' when and what will happen.-

October would be my choice as marketing-expert.

And October has 5 Tuesdays this year ... we'll see.-

😉

(to Mods: sorry for speculating! once a year I HAVE to …)

Does iMovie'11 support Canon XA20 (1920x1080 50i) ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.