Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1242 Wired Keyboard stops entering characters, Reboot fixes (for a while)

I can't find any threads discussing this issue. (I do give up easily)

This problem started last week after two years with this keyboard/iMac pairing and working fine.

After a period of inactivity (over night) the wired USB apple keyboard (A-1242) stops entering keyboard characters.

The trackball works normally.

Swapping USB ports doesn't fix the issue.

Restarting is the only thing that fixes fixes the problem, tenporarily.

Resetting the PRAM hasn't fixed the problem, it still looses keyboard inputs after a long rest. (Cursor continues to move and cursor commands work fine.

A different Apple usb (older) keyboard works fine when the A1242 has temporarily died.

Something dies between the A1242 and the iMac and requires rebooting to fix.

Any help or ideas would be dearly appreciated.

Thanx

GG

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 10:45 AM

Do a SMC reset 2-3 times in succession. If you don't know how please clickIntel iMac SMC and PRAM resets

6 replies

Jul 9, 2013 9:14 AM in response to garygladstone

Well, the problem continues. Now (and possibly during the original complaint times) the keyboard character input fails when using Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. After about an hour of P/S usage, the keyboard just stops entering characters. (The trackpad works going into a separate USB port on the iMac).

If I reboot, the problem goes away. Is it possible this is a known conflict with Photoshop? I have 4GB of RAM.

Any ideas would help. Many thanks.

A1242 Wired Keyboard stops entering characters, Reboot fixes (for a while)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.