Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATT Uverse (2wire 3801HGV) as modem/wired router, Airport Express as bridged WAP?

To make a long story short, I just installed AT&T Uverse Internet / TV and am being forced by AT&T to use their "Residential Gateway" which is a 2Wire 3801HGV (Modem/Wired Router/Wireless Router). Knowing that I have to use their hardware, I've come to terms with using it as a modem and wired router but I'd like to and have successfully disabled wifi on the 2wire in an attempt to use my Airport Express as the only wireless access point in the house (obviously in bridge mode, no DHCP). The Airport Express is properly set for Bridge Mode (DHCP Off) and is connected to a live Cat6 drop which is of course connected to a netgear switch (which of course is connected to the 2Wire).

When I plug in a computer via ethernet to the LAN port on the back of the Airport Express, speedtest.net shows over 20Mbps download (my max is 24Mbps). When connected to Wifi, it struggles to get past 1-2Mbps download.

Note: I tried changing the password encyrption method on the 2Wire to AES only. I've also added the Airport Express MAC address to the 2wire's allowed list. Both units have been power cycled several times. I've also tested the wifi connection on 3 other devices, consistent results.

Any idea as to what I'm missing here?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 10:27 PM

There are no replies.

ATT Uverse (2wire 3801HGV) as modem/wired router, Airport Express as bridged WAP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.