Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2009 27" iMac running slow

I have a late 2009 27" iMac with 16GB ram, but things are still running slow. Programs are slow to load, and I have a game on there which freezes from time to time. The thing is it never used to freeze, but now even with more RAM it freezes. I was thinking it is a read/write issue with the hard drive and I was going to try and install an SSD into it and I was wondering if anyone had tried this and doe sit work?

Thanks

Niko

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 27" 2009

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 5:57 AM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2013 11:19 PM in response to Niko K

Check your Login items, in System Preferences - Users & Groups - Login Items. If you have a lot of apps set to oen at startup then remove some. Then retest, if the system is still slow use Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used and if that proves to be OK then run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode at least 2-3 times, if errors appear you have confirmed a hardware issue that needs repairing.

Jun 26, 2013 11:21 PM in response to Niko K

How full is your Mac's hard drive?

How many applications do you run simultaneously in the background while working in another application?

Do you run any antivirus software on your Mac? Antivirus software can slow down the normal operation of OS X.

Do you run any "crapware" like Mackeeper or any other type of so called hard drive "cleaning" apps?

Late 2009 27" iMac running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.